Dropped third strike, two out, bases loaded...

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
mjacton

Post by mjacton » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Instead of tagging the batter or throwing to first, the catcher steps on the plate, ending the inning.

I can score this to indicate the runner on third is forced out at home by using the 'safe' option for the batter), but the catcher is, then, charged with a passed ball (at least on the scorebook).

This shouldn't be the case, since no one actually advances a base.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8278&p=44602#p44602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pontiac Tomahawks

Re: Dropped third strike, two out, bases loaded...

Post by Pontiac Tomahawks » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:03 am

In this situation - its considered a fielders choice. Dropped 3rd still stands.
mjacton

Post by mjacton » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:56 pm

The point is that, the way iscore is set up, if you use the *Safe* option (then press Dropped third strike) to allow you to indicate the putout is on the runner on third base, the catcher is charged with a passed ball because iscore assumes the batter is safe.

There doesn't seem to be a way to indicate both a dropped third strike and a Fielder's Choice, since, after pressing the Dropped Third button, it asks only about the specific runners. A Fielder's Choice is only connected to the batter.
Pontiac Tomahawks

Post by Pontiac Tomahawks » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:50 pm

In this situation- the sequence of events is:
The Drop 3rd occurs
Runner is Safe (choose PB or WP)
Runner on 3rd is Out - Force Out at Home.

I did some research - FC and D3 safe can't occur at the same time. Batter is safe on the D3, runner is Forced Out.
mjacton wrote:The point is that, the way iscore is set up, if you use the *Safe* option (then press Dropped third strike) to allow you to indicate the putout is on the runner on third base, the catcher is charged with a passed ball because iscore assumes the batter is safe.

There doesn't seem to be a way to indicate both a dropped third strike and a Fielder's Choice, since, after pressing the Dropped Third button, it asks only about the specific runners. A Fielder's Choice is only connected to the batter.
team mom

Post by team mom » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Wild pitch and passed ball are both options when dropped third strike - safe is entered.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mjacton

Post by mjacton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:18 am

Choosing passed ball or wild pitch is wrong in this situation because neither applies!

I'm sorry, but everyone seems to be missing the point! There should not be a passed ball or wild pitch when there is a force out at home in this situation. No one actually advances a base! How can I say this more plainly?

Whether it is a Fielder's Choice or not is also pretty secondary. The point is that iscore, the way it is set up, charges the catcher with a passed ball (unless the user chooses wild pitch, which is also incorrect) in this situation. This should not be. Again, neither the batter nor any of the runners advance!

I would like to see a response or at least questions/comments from iscore about this, please!
mjacton

Post by mjacton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:28 am

Maybe this will help.

I realize users utilize different rulebooks with different nuances to the rules, but MLB rule 9.13 states:

A passed ball is a statistic charged against a catcher whose action has caused a runner or runners to advance... (emphasis added).

MLB Rule 9.13(b) states:

The official scorer shall charge a catcher with a passed ball when the catcher fails to hold or to control a legally pitched ball that should have been held or controlled with ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a passed ball, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a passed ball. (emphasis added)

In this case, the batter does not reach first base because the force out at home is made ending the inning immediately. NO RUNNERS ADVANCE!
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:46 am

I too would like to see iscore support's response. It would seem to me your only option now is to manually edit the stats and remove the passed ball after iscore incorrectly assigns it.
mjacton

Post by mjacton » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:23 pm

That is true. It is charging it on both the scorecard and the stats, incidentally. Interestingly, and understandably, changing the stats does not change the scorebook.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:30 pm

Looks like an option will need to be added on third strike for Safe at First, Fielder's Choice. We will add it to our enhancement list.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs