Correcting Scoring Errors after game is over; “Master Override” for stats.

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
BB Iceman

Correcting Scoring Errors after game is over; “Master Override” for stats.

Post by BB Iceman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm

I used iScore scoring, together with an integrated team website that I purchased from iScore, for scoring last season’s high school varsity games and all games played with the same players in a summer 18U league. It was the first time the school had used a digital platform to report Interscholastic and summer games, and players, parents and fans really liked it. But I have two suggestions for enhancements that could take it to the next level.

The first involves an enhancement to how game entries are corrected after the game is completed. While I always try to use the edit function on the Game Info page under the Game Manager tab, there have been times when I can’t make the proper correction using that tab. So I have to go to the scoring page and go back to where the scoring error was made using the Undo button. However, depending on where in the game the correction is made, all entries following the correction must be re-entered through the end of the game. Quite time consuming if the correction occurs early in the game, say the 1st or 2nd inning. I think this could be avoided by making each half inning its own discreet data set. Since each half inning does not affect half innings that follow, this should not create what I call a “flow through” correction. And the most entries that a scorer would have to re-enter would be within the half inning where the correction occurred.

The second enhancement consists of a “master override” to manually change any stat automatically posted to the team and player stats on the Game Manager tab. Here’s the situation I encountered that I was unable to “fix.” With one out a runner on third base scores on a sacrifice fly. The batter hitting the sac fly gets credit for an RBI as he should. The pitcher, however, was automatically, but erroneously, charged with an earned run when he should not have been. The run should have been scored “unearned” because the only reason the runner was on third base was a throwing error on an attempted pick off when the runner was on first. So if that error had not been committed, the runner would have been on first base when the fly ball that scored him was hit, and the fly out would have been the second out, with the batter following immediately thereafter grounding out for the third out. I could find no way to make the run unearned while still giving the batter who hit the sac fly an RBI. If there had been a master override that would have allowed me after the game was over to take away one earned run in the pitcher’s stats, problem would have been solved.