Tournament Scoring with iScore

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
cdave

Tournament Scoring with iScore

Post by cdave » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 pm

My son is playing his first year of Tournament Ball (aka Traveling Ball) and was wondering if there were any tips on how to do this efficiently. I scored his league team last year, so I am very familiar with the iScore program. I was just wondering if any experienced users could provide some helpful tips on Tournament Scoring (likely 2 to 3 games on Saturday and up to 4 on Sunday). Mainly I am looking at how to organize the games, name the games, quick setup of teams, etc. Thanks.
davidlimbaugh

Re: Tournament Scoring with iScore

Post by davidlimbaugh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 pm

The bracket may have the games numbered/named? If not, perhaps TournamentName_Game_# ????
mblack

Post by mblack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Start each day with a fully charged battery. If you want the battery to last, turn off tweets and iscore, and you might get in 3 games ( with games = approx. 1.5 hours) before battery runs down. If you get breaks between games, recharge your ipod in the car.
Last edited by mblack on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm

We have had several people report that you can score 2-3 games in a single charge. Turning off iScorecast during the game, and going to Airplane Mode (when using an iPhone) are the biggest battery savers, but we know 2 full games can be scored even with iScorecast on... we had many people doing that during fall ball.

There are also many external batteries you can purchase for the days you know you will have 4 games. We have a deal with a company to get a discount on one of the batteries that are available that we know is high quality and more than doubles the life of your device on a single charge... you can find info on that here: http://iscorecentral.com/baseball/battery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are others available as well.

Thank you.
mblack

Post by mblack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 pm

The number of games able to score on a single charge is relative to the lenght of games. The most I have been able to get out of mine on a single charge is about 5 hours worth of scoring. For some that might be 5 games while others it might be 1 game.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am

battery life tips are great one..

My tip - Make liberal use of leagues and score games as robustly as you can.

If you want to see a player stats in different ways, Lifetime, Last year, This year to date, Last weekend, etc. I recommend taking full advantage of the ability to assigned a game to multiple leagues.. this is a very powerful feature if you want to 'slice and dice' how you look at player performance. you can also create the league assignments before, during or after the fact. do not have to know it all before you start the season. very flexible

sounds like you had same team last year, So What I do in that situation is add 2009 to last years league name for games that team, create a new 2010 league for this year for that teams future games, and then create separate leagues for each weekend tourney you play in, (one could go further, but I do not, by creating another league for pool play Friday and another for bracket play weekend for each tourney ( i.e. 3 leagues for each weekend), ) the trick is assigning the game to the leagues you want to be able to see stats by..

for a tourney team I create and assign each game to three leagues, for example..
* lifetime team league
* 2010 season league,
* July4,2010 weekend tourney league

The trick is "the team" is assigned to "a game" and the game is assigned to as many leagues as you want to see data/stats in..

more assignments are also possible
* July4,2010 tourney, pool play games league
* July4,2010 tourney, bracket play games league
* 2010 season, all pool play games league
* 2010 season, all bracket play games league

.. enabling you flexibility in stats ... i.e. specific game stats, last weekend pool play stats, last weekend bracket play stats, last weekend tourney stats, 2010 year to date stats, lifetime stats.. Assuming you want to slice and dice it that many ways..
davidlimbaugh

Post by davidlimbaugh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:31 pm

FTMSupport wrote:We have had several people report that you can score 2-3 games in a single charge. Turning off iScorecast during the game, and going to Airplane Mode (when using an iPhone) are the biggest battery savers, but we know 2 full games can be scored even with iScorecast on... we had many people doing that during fall ball.

There are also many external batteries you can purchase for the days you know you will have 4 games. We have a deal with a company to get a discount on one of the batteries that are available that we know is high quality and more than doubles the life of your device on a single charge... you can find info on that here: http://iscorecentral.com/baseball/battery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are others available as well.

Thank you.
I have been using this for three years now - works great! http://zapportableenergy.com/chargers/r ... ttery.html
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:28 pm

It looks like the supplier of batteries we have been working with has changed their site... trying to get more details, and see if we can get a new discounted price from another reputable dealer. It's too bad because the iPWR battery is/was very nice.

That Universal USB charger looks pretty nice --- nice it can charge devices other than just iPhone (anything that uses USB apparently). It is a bit more costly than the iPWR battery was, but maybe worth it if you are going to use it for additional devices as well.
iscore@tragus.org

Post by iscore@tragus.org » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 pm

If you have a soldering iron...

I got one of these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jensen-Dual-P ... r/10746817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and cut off one of the receptacles. Then I got a 4-AA battery holder (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The whole thing cost less than $15 and took about 15 minutes to assemble.

I already had a car charger for the iPhone so I just put the battery pack in my pocket & run the cord to the phone. I can charge between games or power the phone during games. It won't quite drain the batteries before the voltage drops to a point that the car charger shuts down so you could use them in a backup flashlight or kids toys before throwing them out.

When I get a chance I'm going to upgrade to C or D cells. Rechargeable AA's won't last long but the larger ones should be good.
cdave

Post by cdave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks everybody for the tips..........