Roster positions

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
tmccombs

Roster positions

Post by tmccombs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 am

For most youth teams, especially recreational leagues, the kids play more than one position. It would be nice if the roster link would allow for a primary and secondary position. The lineup would be based on the primary postion. The team website would display both positions for a player. Currently if you have more than 9 players on the team, some will be listed on the site with no postion unless you duplicate some in the roster. Worthwhile?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Roster positions

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 am

We will consider this for a future release. The position data comes straight from the rosters in iScore, and it might be a little strange to have players assigned to multiple positions in iScore, but if we come up with an elegant, non-confusing way to do this, we may do it for a future release.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 am

This is an interesting suggestion for youth leagues, perhaps it is less about the team roster than it is seeing the history for a specific game

In the short term, I would suggest not entering a position in your hand held in team manager, leave all positions blank, thus they shows up as "-" on the team web site position column in roster. (of course you then have to enter it every game in lineup mode)

FTM could put on their consideration list, "game by game rosters" where you click the game and see a table, starting line up and position by inning. (as it is now history, and a part of the score sheet), .. showing who batted in what order and what positions they played for in a game would be nice for little league. particularly those rec leagues who need to manage rotational balance.

yes the information is on the box score and in the pdf scorebook, but as a simple table, potential value for little leagues

just not sure where it would go on my priority chart..
tmccombs

Post by tmccombs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 am

My intent with the suggestion originally was more emotional than functional. I just felt like at the youth recreational level, the kids and parents alike, would feel bad about viewing their team's roster and seeing that they are not designated a position on the team. Even 2nd and 3rd string pro ballers are designated a position on the team's roster even though they may never play an inning at that position let alone start.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 am

If you assign default positions to all players in Team Manager (i.e. the Roster), that is just fine. When a new game is created, iScore will automatically remove the positions of players in the Lineup for any duplicate positions listed (first one in each position remains). So as long as your batting order is consistent with who is actually in the field at the start of the game (i.e. you don't have someone batting 1st marked as Catcher when really the person batting 12th is catcher to start the game in a youth league where all players bat), then no changes will need to be made at game time.

If you do have the situation where someone further down the lineup is actually going to be in a defensive position that has been used by someone higher up in the batting order, then at game time, just be sure to set the defensive position of that player higher in the lineup to "Out". This may sound much more complicated than it is... if you try it once by setting positions for all players and starting a new test game that you can then delete, you will see what we mean.

Thank you.