NY Times: Who Scores By Hand Anymore

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
jlondon81

NY Times: Who Scores By Hand Anymore

Post by jlondon81 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:41 pm

The NY Times published an article regarding the art of scorekeeping Friday (7/12) that caught my attention. The main focus is the art of scorekeeping itself and much is made regarding traditional pencil and paper scorekeeping. There is mention of electronic scorekeeping apps, including a reference to a service once used and dropped by ESPN... the name of which escapes me.... =P

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/sport ... rc=me&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
monarchstats

Re: NY Times: Who Scores By Hand Anymore

Post by monarchstats » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Very interesting article. I have been volunteering as the score keeper / statistician for a local high school since 2008. I use the paper score sheet and a notebook for notes during the games (mostly because the head coach prefers paper) and use iScore after the game. The versatility and admin page / team page features are great and the parents that use them really like the Scorecasting feature. Every baseball player should learn to keep a score book.
Forrest Howe

Re: NY Times: Who Scores By Hand Anymore

Post by Forrest Howe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:11 pm

I read the article as well. I agree that the emphasis was upon the art of scoring with a special focus on paper. I do both at a game as a spectator. My biggest problem with electronic versions is that if I have to take a potty break, I get lost and can't score the rest of the game well. So I use paper, ask those around me what happened or go on line and get a play by play, fill in the action during the break and finish the game out digitally.