Question About Rosters

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Mendon

Question About Rosters

Post by Mendon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 am

I'm a follower of minor league baseball, the Florida State League in particular. I just purchased iScore and it appears to be an excellent program and something I've been searching for.

I don't seem to understand one thing, though, and hope that you can help me:

I'm entering each team (Palm Beach, Daytona, Tampa, etc) of the FSL into iScore and want to enter the roster for each team.

I made my first team (Palm Beach Cardinals) and entered its entire roster into iScore and saved it... no problems.

I then made my second team (Tampa Yankees) and when I touched roster to enter the Yankee's players, I found a list of the players I had entered for the Cardinals and that any players I entered for the Yankee's would be included with the existing Cardinals roster.

What this seems to mean, unless I'm not understanding something, is that instead of having the players that I entered for the Cardinals saved to just the Cardinals, and the players I entered for the Yankee's saved to just the Yankee's, all players I enter into ROSTER, no matter what team I'm working on, are saved to one master list and that I will have to go through that list and assign the players to the Yankee's vs Cardinals game I'm scoring.

Is this correct? Or, as I said, maybe I'm missing something obvious.. and if so, I apologize.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mendon
heroes

Re: Question About Rosters

Post by heroes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am

I was just writing this same question!

I bet we are missing something here though. Otherwise you have hundreds of players to choose from once you enter all the teams in the league!

please help us :)
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Here's how I enter rosters and what I see in the Program. Maybe it will help.

1) I enter iScore and select "Team Manager".
2) I click on "<<<Add Team>>>".
3) Enter "Team name", "Manager" and click "Roster"
4) On the Roster window I click "Add Player". This action will send me to "Player List", where I am able to see every player of every team (very useful for adding players to your team after a transaction, don't have to enter the info again). Anyway, I ignore all the players and click "<<<New Player>>>" at the top of the Player List window.
5) Enter the info for the player, and click "Done" when finished.
6) Now I am back at the Roster window for my team, where I see only the player I have just entered for my team.
7) Repeat for every new player.

So, you are able to see your team with only its players, plus you can see every player of every team entered on the Player List, clearly separated, but accessible if neccesary (like I said, for a transaction, etc.) Also, deleting a player on the team Roster will delete him/her from your team, but not from the Player List (again, useful for transactions).

Hope this helps
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm

jdonato has it correct.

The idea of creating the roster is that you are choosing from a pool of players in the league. This works great in youth sports going from season to season where the same players play again and again and you won't have to re-enter their info when they play on a new team. Same with MLB where players move from team to team via trade, etc.

Once you have created your team Rosters, when you create a new game between two teams, it shows a lineup for each team based just on that team's roster. You can add another player to the lineup at that time (very common it youth sports to be able to "borrow" a player from the league pool to fill in for missing players), but most of the time, you will just have the players on the team's roster, and you would just have to rearrange a couple depending on who is starting that day.

Selecting players from the whole league pool is pretty quick when you start getting lots of players if you use the little "alpha-index" down the right hand side of the table. It jumps immediately to players with that letter when you click on it. When you just have a handful of players, it is just as easy to "flick-scroll" up and down the list, but when you start getting many teams, the index becomes invaluable.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
dennisg501

Post by dennisg501 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 pm

I'm in the same league (Actually South Atlantic) as the original poster. While Minor (and Major) league rosters change, they are not that dynamic. For the past three days I've struggled with maintaining roster's for the Augusta Greenjackets and Charleston Riverdogs. I think it's alot easier to have a player assigned to a team and then having that as the pool to draw from versus being in a large pool. I know Chipper Jones will be with Atlanta Braves (while I really wish he wasn't).

On this theme, I've had player numbers that are in the "pool" get changed to "-1". I'm guessing this is because they are in the pool, instead of being on what I think are 2 different teams, with the same jersey number???

Not sure how the "pool" concept will work with large number of players. I would like to keep my Greenjacket roster intact, and then add/delete other players based on who's in town.

There are some user features I'm still figuring out, but overall a great APP. One feature for the MiLB fans that would be handy would be the ability to sort in the team view by either jersey or position. This may not be of value if numbers get changed when they enter the "pool".
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 pm

We will continue working on ways to improve the picking of players. As I mentioned, once a player is on a team roster (assigned in Team Manager), then when you start a game with that team, it only shows that team's assigned players in the lineup (though you CAN draw from the full pool to account for league's that allow that if you want).

A player can have one jersey number on one team, and a different jersey number on another. In youth sports for example, maybe there is a spring and fall league... same players generally play both leagues, but are on different teams, and it is nice to be able to track both from the same pool. Will allow things like "lifetime statistics" (we don't have that ability right now, but our database would allow it).

Another enhancement we will be adding in the future is the ability to manage your rosters online using your computer. No matter what we do on the iPhone itself, it is always going to be easier to type on a full size computer than on the little screen.

When we add this ability, we will also likely make MLB rosters available as downloads rather than people needing to type them in. There are plenty of public sources for getting this information.

If you guys have any additional ideas, please let us know as we are always looking to improve.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:43 am

dennisg501 wrote:On this theme, I've had player numbers that are in the "pool" get changed to "-1".

We have actually identified this as a bug, and have a fix for our next release (the one after 1.50), and a way it can be avoided in current releases. Please see this link:

http://iscore.freeforums.org/avoiding-1 ... d-t85.html

Thank you.
Mendon

Post by Mendon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:05 am

Thank You very much to Support and to everyone else who posted for the quick and helpful responses!!!

It's GREAT to have a product from a company that actually knows the meaning of "Customer Service" and "Customer Support".

I'll be giving iScore the full test today when I attend a minor league game and can't wait to put it into action.

Thanks again.

Mendon
SharkBait

Post by SharkBait » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:18 am

The "every player is available for every team concept" is also nice for pool player possibilities. We made the decision to go with 9-10 players on each team and have a pool player system. My son's team has 9 players which is awesome for play time, but we do have to get a pool player every 3rd game or so. So I can simply go add a kid from the other team to our roster for that game and I have his name and number all set to go.