Another double play... (answered)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
ixamnis

Another double play... (answered)

Post by ixamnis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:09 am

OK, I'm sure this one has probably been covered before, but how would you score this double play?

Runner on first, one out, batter grounds to second baseman who tags out the runner going to second and then throws the batter out at first for the double play.

When I tried it last night the options I tried were: out, ground out, location, (who touched the ball), I entered 4-4-3, and then I was asked (what happened to runner on second), tagged out 4,

And so it shows on my scorecard that the tag on the runner was the third out instead of the second and vice versa for the batter.

In going back to the pitch by pitch I don't see a way to correct it.

Is there a quick out option that I should have used? I just figured there wasn't for this situation.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Another double play...

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:34 am

Out, Ground Out, 2B-1B, (asks what happened to runner on first), Out, Second, Double Play
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:21 am

Ok, that cleans up the scorecard order of outs and it seems to keep the stats right, but what's to show the difference between the second baseman tagging the runner when it shows it on the scorecard now as a force at second which makes you think the second baseman fielded the ball, stepped on second and then threw to first?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 am

You can add a note to the play if you would like, but statistically there is no difference.
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am

Ok this happened last night, runners on first and third, one out, batter grounds to second baseman, who steps on second and throws to first for the double play to end the inning.

I score it ground out, location, 4-3, (asks what happened to runner on third) I put held up, (could have put safe at home run not scored I suppose), what happened to runner on second, out, second, Double Play,

On the score card it has the outs reversed again. Shows the batter out at first as the second out instead of the third.

What did I do wrong? I try to go back in the pitch by pitch and it no longer asks what happened to the runner on third.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:21 am

It is likely the player on third that is causing the order to be incorrect on the scorecard. We will look into this situation more. It sounds like you scored it correctly. The order of the outs does not actually have any significance on the statistics.
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Ok, this is perfect, it is exactly the question I was looking for.

In my case it was runners on first and second. Ground to short stop who did an amazing twist and tagged the runner going to third, then threw to first.

I understand it doesn't affect the stats, but I want to be able to look a the scoresheet and reconstruct what happened, like I do on my paper scoresheet.

Situations like this are why I keep score on paper and then transfer the game to iscore for stats. There is no way I could sort out that play during a game and keep up

Deborah
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 pm

That's my point too. When iscore produces a paper scoresheet I want to be able to look at it and be able to reconstruct "exactly" what happened in the game. That is what the scoresheet is supposed to do as well as the play by play (pitch by pitch). Defaulting to just getting the stats right doesn't seem to be enough in my opinion. But then I also realize that iscore is a work in progress and I've been pleased that for the cost of the ap, it does a pretty good job and that they seem to continue to address concerns and make improvement when issues like this are brought to their attention.

By the way, after two years of using iscore, I was asked to keep the paper scoresheet for two games last weekend and I was going to try to keep them on iscore at the same time. I quickly figured out for me there just wasn't enough time to both at the same time. When the two games were over, I wished I'd just used iscore by itself. I did not enjoy going back to paper at all. I can't fit all the details into those little tiny boxes! My only concern about an ap as the sole scorekeeping device is if something crashes with the technology then I don't want the coach or an umpire mad because it wasn't on paper.
team mom

Post by team mom » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm

ixamnis wrote: My only concern about an ap as the sole scorekeeping device is if something crashes with the technology then I don't want the coach or an umpire mad because it wasn't on paper.
If you are using iscorecast, there is always a backup of the digital scorecard. I had an iPad crash the last inning of a game that went into extra innings I had to switch to paper for the last couple of innings because the iPad database was wiped clean. I was able to recover all the data from iscore later and could finish the last game using the paper backup. But I agree a real time paper backup/duplicate scoring is a waste of energy. That is the only problem I've had in 3 years using the iPad.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 am

That is nice to know. I hadn't thought about that. I remain the eternal pessimist though. I have had electronic health records in my optometric office since 1995, but still maintain paper back ups...

Early on with using iscore, you have the issues of thinking you have to have the lineups set, not knowing they can be entered as the game progresses or later. I use an android phone, so there have been a few times when I've scrolled down to edit the starting line up, I've hit the "end game" by mistake. (It sits right over "edit starting line up" selection.) Boy, that can cause some momentary heart failure, but then you realize you can hit the undo button and recover. The point is until you've used the ap for a while you remain suspicious.....

Still if you happen to be official scorekeeper and the umpire needs to see the book..... If it's on a tablet or ipad I suppose that's doable, but since we all know how poor vision umpires have, trying to get them to read the book off a smartphone... not so happy about that is my guess.
:-)

Although in 9 years of scorekeeping I can't recall where an umpire actually wanted to see the book!

Here's another issue. I have had the scorekeeper doing the book on paper ask me a question while the game is progressing on how I scored a play. I've had some difficulty immediately going back and getting that information until we had a break between innings.