Another double play... (answered)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
cherrybomb

Re: Another double play...

Post by cherrybomb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:53 am

I am excited that the new update says I "fixes" double plays.

Regarding tiny scoreboxes - I designed my own score sheets - the fit in the glover binder and are very "clean". I can put everything in there that shows on the iscore sheet. (I have to be able to since it is usually hours, sometimes a day or two before it gets into iscore)

I have had too many situations where I am entering the plays as the next batter goes up. Using iscore real time just wouldn't work for me unless someone else was keeping paper for me to refer to

Interestingly at the Women's Canadian Fastpitch Open the are using electronic scoring (another product on a laptop, I don't really care for it) and they always have a paper scorekeeper as well. Some bad experiences on the past I believe.....
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 am

So sad. DP is still recorded in the score box of the first out, instead of showing her as a fly out. Previous runner who is caught in the double play is a force out only.
ndtadnjmi

Post by ndtadnjmi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 pm

ixamnis wrote:That is nice to know. I hadn't thought about that. I remain the eternal pessimist though. I have had electronic health records in my optometric office since 1995, but still maintain paper back ups...

Early on with using iscore, you have the issues of thinking you have to have the lineups set, not knowing they can be entered as the game progresses or later. I use an android phone, so there have been a few times when I've scrolled down to edit the starting line up, I've hit the "end game" by mistake. (It sits right over "edit starting line up" selection.) Boy, that can cause some momentary heart failure, but then you realize you can hit the undo button and recover. The point is until you've used the ap for a while you remain suspicious.....

Still if you happen to be official scorekeeper and the umpire needs to see the book..... If it's on a tablet or ipad I suppose that's doable, but since we all know how poor vision umpires have, trying to get them to read the book off a smartphone... not so happy about that is my guess.
:-)

Although in 9 years of scorekeeping I can't recall where an umpire actually wanted to see the book!

Here's another issue. I have had the scorekeeper doing the book on paper ask me a question while the game is progressing on how I scored a play. I've had some difficulty immediately going back and getting that information until we had a break between innings.
The same with me
GLMSAS11

Post by GLMSAS11 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:53 am

i guess this issue hasn't been resolved yet in any release since 2013?
i had this same issue show up in a game last night and the scorecard PDF
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:15 am

what specific situation are you referring to?. b/c the double play issues were addressed years ago.
the double play entry generally shows right on scorecard , if you correctly use the Double Play button or Quick Outs Menu when scoring.

Example, traditional 6-4-3 double play....
in play > out > ground out > location > 6-4- 3 > what happen to runner at first? >Out > Second >Double Play ! (the key is the Double Play button)
the scorecard will show 1st out is the runner from first (red circle with 1) and the batter/runner is 2nd out (red circle with #2)

there are also a number of more common double play sequences in the "quick outs" menu. I do not use quick menus much, but do on double plays.
(you can reveal the l "quick menu" on a phone, by flicking up the out button,, it also shows as choice on tablets on in play menu .. at top out/safe/quick)

Second example, Reverse double play 3-6
Quick Out > 3-6 Double Play > location
in play > out > ground out > location > 3-6 > what happen to runner at first? >Out > Second >Double Play
(sequence of outs on score card is correct, 1st out is batter/runner, 2nd out is runner from 1st, now technically scorecard notes as FO, should be TO )

For reference, the program is also tracking and assigning Ground into Double plays (GDP) and correct put outs and assists. If the double play is not a ground out, but say a fly out double up at original base, or say a line drive to third caught and then 5-3 force out for runner stealing from first, just substitute Line drive or pop up in above examples. that works too but will not add the GDP stat.

double plays just turned out to be tricky in the program it seems. , but the more common ones seem to be correctly handled when using the quick outs or double play button, that said, triple play generally does not sequence correctly.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
GLMSAS11

Post by GLMSAS11 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:03 am

OhioTex wrote:what specific situation are you referring to?. b/c the double play issues were addressed years ago.
the double play entry generally shows right on scorecard , if you correctly use the Double Play button or Quick Outs Menu when scoring.
bases loaded 1 out, batter hit a ground ball to 4 who tags the bag(for the 2nd out) and throws to 3 for the 3rd out.

when i do it it shows a DP4-3 but the outs are recorded wrong batter is counted as the 2nd out and runner going to 2nd as the 3rd out

gary
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:59 am

@ Support - the bug he is trying to point out is the sequence of outs on score card in a play where trailing runner (who is not the batter) is out before leading runner and there is not a quick play to compensate . It is not about the "double play" button per sea , it is more general, and about any situation with multi outs on a play when trailing runner (who is not the bater) is out before a leading runner. (this is perhaps why triple plays never fully correct either)

@ GLMSAS11 thanks for the specifics. your scenario is a less common double play and as such there is not a Quick Out for that. BUT yes in that situation, the red out circle on score card is out of sequence, and the Double Play key does not correct (I assume because it does not involve the batter-runner) . however, the stats will be fine for GDP, put outs and assists just the sequence of outs wrong on scorecard.

Here is how i would enter it.

In play
> safe > fielder's choice > location > next > 2B-3B > done >
> runner from 3rd? > Safe> Home > Run not scored (or run scored) ( run depends on timing as the force for the third out is now off)
> Runner from 2nd? > Out > third> Double play >
> Runner from 1st? > Out > second > Double Play

scorecard
Batter G, FC and DP (correct)
Runner from 3rd (stranded)
Runner from 2nd (TO4-5) (red circle will say 2, should say 3)
runner from 1st FO (red circle will say 3, should say 2)

stats
Batter Runner = FC and GDP (if not a GDP, you can use force out and tag out instead of Double Play button)
Second Basemen Put out and Assist
Third Basemen Put out
iScore Baseball/Softball
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 am

@ GLMSAS11 Follow up Update:

I understand some times one really wants the scorebook to look pristine, if you want to re- score, here is a work around that will correct the out order on the book and keep the stats correct...

In play > Safe > fielders Choice > location > 2B> Done
Runner from 3rd? > Home > Safe > Run not (or Run does) Score
Runner from 2nd? > SECOND > hold up (note, second base, and hold up, this is on purpose)
Runner from 1st? > OUT > Double Play
Tap runner at second, > Out >Third > tag out > 2B-3B > Done

Score Book
batter Runner - > DP FC
Runner from 1 -> FO# between 1st and 2nd (red circle 2)
Runner from 2 -> TO 4-5 between 2nd and 3rd (red circle 3)

Stats (same as before)
iScore Baseball/Softball