RBI if tagged out ?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
cj47

RBI if tagged out ?

Post by cj47 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm

This is probably a simple question, but I'm an inexperienced scorer, so bear with me:

No outs. Runner on 2nd. Batter hits and reaches first, runner reaches 3rd. Batter now turns for 2nd, but is tagged out at 2B. While the tag is applied, runner on 3rd reaches home.

I've scored this as:
Single
What happened to the runner that was on 2nd ? - Safe at Home, On the Throw
What happened to the batter ? - Out at 2nd, tagged out.

In the box scores, the batter gets a single but no RBI. If I read rule 10.04, I can't see why this isn't an RBI.
Have I scored it correctly, and why is it not an RBI ?

Many thanks
Chris
PetroGuy

Re: RBI if tagged out ?

Post by PetroGuy » Thu May 23, 2013 12:50 pm

If you had scored the runner coming home as 'Advanced by Batter' the batter would have gotten an RBI in this situation. You scored it as 'On the Throw' which tells iScore there is not an RBI. This would be a scorer's judgment whether the runner would have scored or not based on the hit.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Thu May 23, 2013 1:50 pm

From your description it sounds like you got it right (if even inadvertently). No RBI if the run would not have scored w/o the play at second.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
cj47

Post by cj47 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks very much for these replies.

Chris
oconnor.jb

Post by oconnor.jb » Mon May 27, 2013 6:22 pm

The way I look at plays like this is if the runner at third stops/hesitates or rounds third and heads directly for home.

If the runner stops at third, or even just hesitates, and then only heads for home AFTER the throw is made to second, then it's "On The Throw". And, yes, base runners who hesitate or don't listen to their base coaches cost their teammates RBIs all the time. Sometimes it is the coach who costs the batter the RBI by telling the runner to hold up when they could have kept running.

If the runner rounds third and heads directly for home, then it's "Advanced By Batter" and the batter gets the RBI.