Double play on a sacrifice bunt.

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
team mom

Re: Double play on a sacrifice bunt.

Post by team mom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am

I think it falls under 10.08(c) that it would not be a sac bunt since a preceding runner was out on the same play. If you consider it a subsequent play, then the double play would not apply. But I believe that since the ball was never dead, it is a double play and therefore no sac bunt. Sometimes a batter is penalized for what happens to other runners already on base.

JMO though. I have never had this happen during a game.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm

My $0.02. The preceding runner was not put out advancing one base as per 10.08(c). They were put out after advancing one base. I think a sac bunt still applies along with a double play since this was continuous action.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Did a Google Search on this, and interestingly it pointed back to another thread in our own forum about this same thing:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 pm

OK, I read the previous thread too and I still don't see a clear answer. The runner did advance a base! she was put out after she passed it. I'm still leaning to awarding the batter a sac bunt.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:19 pm

That was my first inclination too. I think it has to be.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Forrest Howe

Post by Forrest Howe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Let's not forget that all double plays are not equal in their effect. For instance, runner on third with one out. Batter hits a fair ball directly to the first baseman hugging the right field line. He steps on the bag to force out the batter. He now throws the ball to second. Runner does not slide and holds up. SS comes running to tag the runner out. But before he does, the runner from third crosses home plate. Then runner from first is tagged out. Is this a double play? Does the run count? I would say yes to both.
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:14 pm

team mom wrote:Agree with FTM. Double play and no sac bunt.

10.08 SACRIFICES
The official scorer shall:
(c) Not score a sacrifice bunt when any runner is put out attempting to advance one base
on a bunt, in which case the official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat; and
Had R1 not reached second and was put out attempting to return, 10.08(c) would be valid.
However, R1 did reach second safely, so the batter did her job correctly, and thus should be credited with a sacrifice bunt (under MLB rules. However, the NCAA softball rule book has this note about sacrifices after 14.8.2:
Note: If the lead base runner is tagged out in an attempt to advance more than one base, it is scored a fielder’s choice.
it's a tough break to penalize the batter for the baserunning blunder, but....).
As to a double play, there were two outs made with continuous play and no misplay or error between the outs
Let's not forget that all double plays are not equal in their effect. For instance, runner on third with one out. Batter hits a fair ball directly to the first baseman hugging the right field line. He steps on the bag to force out the batter. He now throws the ball to second. Runner does not slide and holds up. SS comes running to tag the runner out. But before he does, the runner from third crosses home plate. Then runner from first is tagged out. Is this a double play? Does the run count? I would say yes to both.
(we really need R1, R3 in the play) Is this a double play? Yes, there were two outs made with continuous play and no misplay or error between the outs.
Does the run count? Yes, the 1B's tag of first base removed the force, so R1 must be tagged to be put out. It is also a time play, and since R3 scored before R1 is tagged out, the run does count. (Should it have been a 3-6-3 DP, the run would not count)
In addition: This is a reverse-force DP (3-3-6), which means: (1) The batter is charged with a GDP and (2) The batter is not credited with an RBI.
Darth Vader was not available for comment :P
Rhc

Post by Rhc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:43 pm

The runner advanced one base safely, so it seems to me it should be a sacrifice bunt and a double play, but I assume you would have to enter it manually.