failed double play...to charge an error or not?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
fmcfish

failed double play...to charge an error or not?

Post by fmcfish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:41 pm

with a runner stealing from first, a line drive is caught. the stealing runner would have easily been doubled up at first BUT the throw back to first goes over the first baseman's head which allowed the runner to get back to first safely instead of being caught in a double play. Should the thrower be charged with an error even though the runner originally on first did not advance a base?
team mom

Re: failed double play...to charge an error or not?

Post by team mom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I believe the correct answer is no. If there is an out on the play, and no extra bases occurred due to the overthrow, no error is scored. I will try and post the reference tomorrow.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
fmcfish

Post by fmcfish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:40 pm

thanks. i'll await what others have to say. ultimately if that runner comes around to score, would the pitcher be charged with an earned run?
a similar scenario occurs when a foul pop is dropped. in that case the fielder DOES get charged with an error and if the batter ultimately gets on base and scores, his run is not earned and is not charged to the pitcher, I think.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 pm

No error. Earned run if runner ultimately scores (assuming no other errors obviously).
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
dhardy123

Post by dhardy123 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm

It is not an error. You cannot assume a double play when determining errors.
eoghanrd

Post by eoghanrd » Thu May 09, 2013 4:42 am

dhardy has the correct and most simple answer......cannot assume a double play.
oconnor.jb

Post by oconnor.jb » Fri May 10, 2013 6:05 am

fmcfish wrote:thanks. i'll await what others have to say. ultimately if that runner comes around to score, would the pitcher be charged with an earned run?
a similar scenario occurs when a foul pop is dropped. in that case the fielder DOES get charged with an error and if the batter ultimately gets on base and scores, his run is not earned and is not charged to the pitcher, I think.
It's really not similar, since if the foul pop had been caught, the batter would have been prevented from getting on base in the first place. In the case of the missed double play, the runner had earned his way on base. Since you can't assume the double play, the runner is still at his "earned" base, so if he scores (with no more errors) it would be an earned run.