association wide use of ipad

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
pshot

association wide use of ipad

Post by pshot » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 am

Is this feasable?

As part of the executive of a baseball association,I am going to suggest that we purchase iscore baseball app 1 for each team. ( for starters )

if at, the end of the season,or during........ the person who had the app installed on their ipad,leaves/quits/doesnt want to scorkeep any longer.....would it or could it be made possible for the license to be transfered to a seperate ipad?

I think we would be in the approximate range of 60-80 app purchases.

if we offer the app for free I think we would increase the number of people who would actually score keep.....if we ask the potential scorekeeper to purchase the app....I feel as though that number would be low,as there less inclined to participate.

any thoughts?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: association wide use of ipad

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 pm

We have many leagues using iScore to track all games in their organization. You can use data sharing to transfer the actual data between devices. The license being transferred would have to follow Apple's rules (i.e. devices on the same iTunes account share apps, devices on different iTunes accounts each need their own purchase).

When a league uses iScore we offer a league site as well. You can see a few samples of league sites at:

http://leagues.iscorecentral.com/instructions.html
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:30 pm

pshot - the league/director site works great if you get 100% conformance to score each game. that is the big trick. getting all games scored. some leagues have one scorer per game, having both teams score a game ensures higher likelihood one game will be of quality but have to agree on details. getting teams to score is the higher cost than the actual out of pocket expense for App (10$) and Team Site (20$).
pshot

Post by pshot » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:32 pm

thansk for both replies ...I will check out the link

Ya getting people to actually do stuff ...is pretty tough....ironically ....its the ones that ask "why dont you do this or that " ......are usaully the ones ....to do nothing.

for scoring ....iscore is a simple no brainer,and I understand the itunes thing....looks like that wouldnt be an option...I can see a non stop of sending people funds ...only to have them buy the app ...then never use it.

unless we buy 70-80 ipads ...lol and get them handed back in after every game not going to happen
KevTN

Post by KevTN » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:24 am

I know this is an iPad forum...don't limit yourself just to the iPad...you can use the iPhone, any android phone or tablet too...they can all share information...in these days everyone has a smart phone or a tablet of some kind that iScore can work on...

There are times when I am at tournaments all day and not be able to recharge my iPad I will use my android phone, up load the games and when my tablet is charged download the information.

Simple and easy...iscore has done a very good job in making this program seamless between devices..
AE32170C18

Post by AE32170C18 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm not sure why you would need 70-80 iPads unless you have 70-80 games going on at one time. One field = 8 games = 16 teams------ 1 ipad/scorer
Four fields = 32 games = 64 teams------- 4 iPads
Have them signed out and signed back in each day. You would need an electrical outlet at each field to charge the ipad back. Maybe I'm missing something but I would think 10 iPads would be plenty.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am

In practical usage, if the devices are owned by the league, then one per field plus maybe a backup unit should be able to cover all games.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
pshot

Post by pshot » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 am

the thinking was that on each team I would be willing to bet that at least one family has an ipad.

I could just imagine the 8-10 ipads being signed in and out ...and passed from team to team during the day getting damaged "it wasnt me ...it was like that when I received it "....stupid parents changing stats on others games,deleting stats ...importing exporting wow what a nightmare .

in a perfect world, association ipads would be ideal......would love to hear if any other associations do this....and there trials and tribulations associated.
jcheng

Post by jcheng » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 am

I know this is an old thread, but our experience may be helpful. Our league has some experience with league-wide iPads - but not using iScore :cry:. But I score all the games for my division on iScore (4 teams, so 4 games a week - I'm always there!)

We have 2 fields where games are played, so we have 2 iPad2's. We have an outlet at each scorebox. We have wifi at the field as well.

I applied a screen protector to protect from the dust, and used the Kensington SecureBack cable system (http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us ... -ipad.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to secure it to the fence. I also bought a couple cheap chargers and charging cables (from Amazon or All4Cellular), since I didn't want the original charger to walk away. The charging cables tend to short out due to bending, etc.

On weekends, I bring out the iPads and secure them to the fence, and plug in the charger to keep them charged during the day. At the end of the day, I unlock the iPads and take them home (the field is not the most secure location).

During weekdays, I bring the iPads to the field if I have advance notice for scorekeepers that wish to use the league iPad, but I have found that many will use their own device.

Haven't noticed an issue with the scorekeepers wanting to change stats, etc. Since the iPads are secured to the location, there hasn't been a problem with moving them/dropping them, although overheating can be an issue since there is limited shade in the scoreboxes depending on the time of day.

The difficulty is getting the training for the scorekeepers so that they feel comfortable doing electronic scoring. I run the scorekeeper training for our league, and I teach both paper and electronic scorekeeping, but there is definitely a learning curve for both. If you implement iScore, you probably need to have a preseason where the scorekeepers can get familiar with the process, as well as the pace of doing live scoring with errors and throwfests and substitutions.

If you are going to spend for 70-80 licenses of iScore, you might consider buying the tablets for the league, since it might be cost-effective in the long run! In another local league, the coaches bought iScore for their scorekeeper, but that was for their own usage, not league-wide.