when to score an error on throw on SB attempt

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
oconnor.jb

when to score an error on throw on SB attempt

Post by oconnor.jb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 pm

do you only score an error on a throw attempting to throw out a SB attempt when the bad throw allows the runner to advance 1 or more bases? or should you charge an error when it appears that a good throw would have had a good chance of getting the runner out, but the bad throw lets the runner reach safely?

i.e. you can't assume the out, so a bad throw does not count as an error if the runner reaches 2nd safely, but does not advance to 3rd

what about when the catcher makes a good throw, but the SS drops the ball?
does it make a difference if the SS drops the ball before making the tag vs. dropping it after making the tag, umpire calls out, but then reverses the call because the ball is dropped?

Isn't amazing how having great scorekeeping software let's us pay attention to the little details? I almost had a chance to use the "Hesitation" button as a reason for an out, and was thrilled it was actually on the screen when I looked for it (umps reversed the call, though, so I had to Undo it).
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: when to score an error on throw on SB attempt

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm

It is only an error on the catcher if the runner advances an extra base as a result.

If there is a good throw that would have gotten the out if not dropped by the fielder, then the fielder is supposed to get an error, the runner gets a caught stealing (even though he is safe), and the catcher gets an assist. (NOTE: This is not done in the current version of iScore, but is fixed in the next major iOS release to allow it to be scored this way, and will be fixed in a future update of the Android version as well. You can edit the stats post game in this situation to get the stats right however.)
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
oconnor.jb

Post by oconnor.jb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Wow - quick response.

OK, so I have some fixing to do in the post game stats for a game.
In addition to the assist, does the catcher also get credit for the CS? (Would make sense, since the runner is getting charged with a CS in her stats, and not getting credit for an SB.)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Yes.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs