Left base early double play

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
IntentionalWalk

Left base early double play

Post by IntentionalWalk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:26 am

Hi -

No outs, runner on 1st, batter flies to RF who makes a diving catch and throws to 1B to double off the runner, who left early. I'm scoring this as:

Batter: Out, RF
Runner: Out, Left Base Early

When I do this, RF gets 1 putout and 1B gets 1 putout, but the RF doesn't get the assist on the 1B putout. This seems like the right way to score it, but how do I get the RF to get the assist he deserves?

If I score like this:

Batter: Out, RF-1B
Runner: Out, Left Base Early

Then RF gets no putouts and 1B gets two putouts! Clearly incorrect.

I haven't tried "Runner: Out, Double Play" yet, because Left Base Early is actually the correct description of what happened.

All advice welcome on how to get the RF the assist, thanks!

--IntentionalWalk
OhioTex

Re: Left base early double play

Post by OhioTex » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:14 pm

your issue is Iscore is correct.

no assisst to right fielder. if the out is due to left base early, why would the right fielder get an assist? It is a base running mistake. and 1st baseman gets a 'free be' put out. that is the scoring rule

if you deem as official scorer (not sure how) that the out was due to force not left early and score it as a fly out double play 9-3 force at first, then you get an out and an assist with right.
IntentionalWalk

Post by IntentionalWalk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi OhioTex -

MLB Rule 10.10 states (in part):
(a) The official scorer shall credit an assist to each fielder who
(1) throws or deflects a batted or thrown ball in such a way that a putout results, or would have resulted except for a subsequent error by any fielder.

In the play I'm discussing, there's no way for the first baseman to get a putout without the right fielder throwing the ball to him. Therefore, an assist seems inevitable.

Rule 10.10(b) states the ways that an assist is not credited, and none of them apply to this situation.

Maybe the issue is that "Left Base Early" is ambiguous? I interpret "Left Base Early" to mean that the runner did not tag up correctly and left before the ball was caught (which is in fact what happened). If the intent of "Left Base Early" is to deal with leagues where a runner cannot run until the pitched ball has crossed the plate, then I am using "Left Base Early" incorrectly. But then I still don't know how to score this situation.

The reason I don't want to use Double Play is that there are two choices, both of which yield wrong results:

1. If I have the batter out as F9 and the runner out as "Double Play" then the right fielder gets credit for both putouts. This is not right.

2. If I have the batter out 9-3 and the runner out as "Double Play" then the runner is scored correctly but the batter is incorrectly out as 9-3 instead of F9.

Basically, I need the batter out as F9 and the runner out as 9-3. I'm not sure how to do it.

--IntentionalWalk
IntentionalWalk

Post by IntentionalWalk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 pm

A similar issue occurred in another game. Runner on first, none out. Batter hits a fly ball to CF who drops the ball. So batter reaches on E8. Because the CF dropped the ball, the runner on first had to hold and then was easily thrown out at second base 8-6. Center fielder gets an assist and the shortstop gets a putout in this scenario.

How can this be scored using iScore? I can make iScore show the runner out at second base on the scorecard, but I can't seem to assign the putout to SS and the assist to CF without influencing the scoring of how the batter got to first base ... I don't think it is correct to say that the batter reached first on a fielder's choice by the center fielder, for example (which would correctly assign the putout and assist at second base).

All help welcome! Thanks!

--IntentionalWalk
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm

You are right on the conclusion we are interpreting "left pass early" differently.
in iScore it behaves like little league and softball, where lead offs are not allowed. "Left pass early" has specific meaning - rule 10.10.b.8 in Little league. Depending on yor league, (like MLB) the leadoff prevention out may not exist. (I see where it could be thought of as left pass ealy on a tag up. but that is not how iscore thinks of it)

For your situation,..
for RF to get credited with a put out and an assist and
first base man to get a put out .

I scored it
In play > Out> fly Out > touch where ball went> touch RF (9) > Touch 1B (3) > Done > what happen to runner on first base?, Out>, first> , Double Play. I simulated this and get put out and assist with right fielder and an put out for first baseman.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks for working through this OhioTex. Yes, the "Left Base Early" is really there for little league rules. For MLB, it really is a double play... just like a line drive out with a force behind the runner is a double play.
IntentionalWalk

Post by IntentionalWalk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 pm

OhioTex, you're right! The fielding statistics come out correctly in this case if Double Play is used. The problem was that I was interpreting "Left Base Early" incorrectly.

I have some minor quibble about how the scorecard looks but it's only minor and well within the natural variation of different scoring notations.

Thanks for your help!

--IntentionalWalk
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 pm

on the second one.. Here is how i scored it, but not as intuitive as i thought.
I thought I would use force out, instead had to use tagged out
( potential opportunity for FTM to look into)

for your scenerio, here is how i score it to get the stats right.....

in play> safe >error> touch where ball hit > touch position that made error > CF >
what happend to runner on first? > out > tagged out > touch each player > CF (8) > SS (6)done, what happened to runner on first? > held up

stats show , E8 and Assist 8, Short stop has 1 put out, and no hit nor fielders choice for batter, he reached on E8

score card shows 2nd batter reached on E8, 1st batter out at second TO8-6.

this seems to get what you want.

of course would have prefered to get it by useing "Force out" instead of "Tagged out" but tagged out let me assign the players, using force out did not (opportunity to fix FTM?)
IntentionalWalk

Post by IntentionalWalk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:15 am

OhioTex wrote:on the second one.. Here is how i scored it, but not as intuitive as i thought.
I thought I would use force out, instead had to use tagged out
( potential opportunity for FTM to look into)

for your scenerio, here is how i score it to get the stats right.....

in play> safe >error> touch where ball hit > touch position that made error > CF >
what happend to runner on first? > out > tagged out > touch each player > CF (8) > SS (6)done, what happened to runner on first? > held up

stats show , E8 and Assist 8, Short stop has 1 put out, and no hit nor fielders choice for batter, he reached on E8

score card shows 2nd batter reached on E8, 1st batter out at second TO8-6.

this seems to get what you want.

of course would have prefered to get it by useing "Force out" instead of "Tagged out" but tagged out let me assign the players, using force out did not (opportunity to fix FTM?)
Yes, precisely right, OhioTex. Having to use "tagged out" even though it's really a force out (and, more importantly, remembering to do it in real time during a game) seems like a bug. Hopefully FTM can look into this.

Probably the app logic assumed that once E8 occurred, all runners currently on base moved up one base, hence taking away any force outs.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Thank you for identifying this issue. We will be adding "touches" to a few scenarios where we did not allow touches as a result of this find. These changes will be in the next release.