A few questions

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
HolyRomanEmperor

A few questions

Post by HolyRomanEmperor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 am

I had a few questions regarding the baseball iScore app.

1. How do you record an error on a dropped foul pop up (where there is an error recorded, but no outs or base runner advancement, and the batter remains at the plate)?

2. When scoring on multiple devices and using data sharing, how do you handle things like trades (or any roster moves)? Do the roster changes need to be made manually on each device? Will simply importing games from the other device also import the roster changes?

3. What is the difference between the "Held Up" and "Advnced by batter" options on the safe results menu? When is the appropriate time to use each? For example, if a runner is on first base, and the batter hits a single with the runner advancing to second, is there a difference between saying the runner is safe at second, help up vs saying he is safe at second, advanced by batter?

4. This is a broader question, but is there any way to read game files from the admin website via a custom written application? Is there a web service or any other mechanism for this? I am a bit of a developer, and I was wanting to create a custom web app for my sim-baseball league that tracks our team rosters and contracts (salary, etc) and things like that - all tracked in my own database. I was hoping to be able to also read the game log files directly from the admin website so that I could simply to a data sharing export after each game and my custom application would always be able to display the up to date cumulative stats. I knwo I can work around this by simply emailing the game logs somewhere and writing my custom app to pull from the mailbox, but it seems liek it would be smoother to do it right from the admin website if it can be done.

Thanks.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: A few questions

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:22 am

1. Use Misc -> Assign Error and assign the error to the player that dropped the foul ball

2. Importing games will import roster updates

3. For stat purposes, they will be identical. There are just cases where "logically" one would seem more appropriate. For example, when the batter gets a base hit and then stays at first, it reads better to say "Held Up" than "Advanced by Batter".

4. We have team websites that include an API (http://api.iscorecentral.com/teamwebsiteapi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that allow you to access the data as XML
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mcastleman

Post by mcastleman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:04 am

HolyRomanEmperor wrote:I had a few questions regarding the baseball iScore app.

1. How do you record an error on a dropped foul pop up (where there is an error recorded, but no outs or base runner advancement, and the batter remains at the plate)?

I would offer only one scorekeeping note regarding dropped foul "errors"...this event is scored an error retroactive upon the batter or any existing base runner scoring following the dropped ball and then prior to a 3rd out as the error itself doesn't contribute to any advancement of runners. It's only an error in the context of an existing runner or the batter becoming a runner and subsequently scoring.

If no runner scores prior to a 3rd out following a dropped foul ball (routine by the way)...then you do not assign an error to the fielder.
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:57 am

mcastleman: Not true -
NCAA Fastpitch rule 14.21.1
An error is charged against any fielder for each misplay (that is, fielding, wild throws, missed catches on good throws) that prolongs the life of a batter (causes one or more pitches to be thrown) or a runner or permits a runner
to advance. This includes a dropped foul ball (unless it was allowed to drop intentionally to prevent a runner from advancing), whether or not the batter subsequently is put out.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 am

MLB rule 10.12.a.2 echoes the Fastpitch rule.

10.12 (a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
  • (2)
    when such fielder muffs a foul fly to prolong the time at bat of a batter,
    whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out;
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mcastleman

Post by mcastleman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 am

PetroGuy wrote:MLB rule 10.12.a.2 echoes the Fastpitch rule.

10.12 (a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
  • (2)
    when such fielder muffs a foul fly to prolong the time at bat of a batter,
    whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out;
I stand corrected...I assumed that a runner may or may not advance as an eventual outcome that the error was assigned upon advancement.