New iPad

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
elcray

New iPad

Post by elcray » Wed May 23, 2012 9:25 pm

I totally dropped and cracked my iPad tonight. I have apple care with it and intend to swap it out with a new one at an apple store this weekend. But, we have a usssa tourney this weekend. Will I be able to get my app setup and the data on there? Will it all come down from iCloud, or will someone from iscore need to do something?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: New iPad

Post by FTMSupport » Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 am

It is not stored on iCloud. Have you done an Options -> Export from iScore? This will create a backup on our server. When you get your replacement, do an Options -> Export from the new device as well, and then email us your old and new customer ID from iScore (found on Options screen in iScore), and we can transfer your data to your new device.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Fri May 25, 2012 6:07 am

It should also come back if you restore from a backup in iTunes (or if you were backing up to iCloud, then you data could be there as well).
AE32170C18

Post by AE32170C18 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

How do back up to iCloud ?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri May 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Our recommended approach to backing up iScore data is to use Options -> Export. This will store a copy of your iScore data on our servers.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Sat May 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Learn about iCloud at http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/backup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elcray

Post by elcray » Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 am

Just a follow up on the topic. I did get my ipad replaced. I manually forced a full icloud backup when I was in the store. When I got home, I restored the backup on the new device. All of my iscore data appears to be intact. I will do a simulated game this afternoon to make sure everything works on the device, scorecast, and the API we use to display stats.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Mon May 28, 2012 9:10 am

Realize that your customer ID has changed (it is tied to the *device*) so you will need to do an export ASAP to generate the data for your new account at FTM's servers.
elcray

Post by elcray » Mon May 28, 2012 10:36 am

Good call. I just did that, as previously recommended by the FTM Admin previously. Scoring data is now accessible on the admin site with the new account.

Couple of things to note:
1.) Kind of annoying process as I now have to update all of my links on our web site that point to the new scorecast page (that references the new account). I understand the need to lock the app to a device. As a programmer, I realize that large organizations would take advantage of multiple devices with the same apple id. With that said, I think it would make sense to keep references to the customer id only on the device. Then on all other services (scorecast and admin site), link the customer id to some sort of customer code (similar to the name used on the team web site/api). That way when the device changes, the only thing that would need to be done is re-link the customer code to the customer id; which could probably be automatically handled in the initial export from the new device.

2.) I have only recently added pictures of the players so I may just be inexperienced in this process. With that said, I think this process is a bit difficult to understand. First, I just did my export, and then re-synchronized the last game to scorecast. Now it appears that my player's pictures are gone. Do I need to re-upload them? On that same note, there seems to be no reference on the device itself to the player pictures. Is this just for scorecast? What would be nice, at least, is if the players picture was displayed in the player editor screen. It would also be nice if the picture was shown in the player card. And what would be way trick is if the player picture was shown when they are up to bat, just as a visual aid to ensure they are batting in order.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 pm

1. If you have a team website, then even if you change devices, people can still get to the iScorecasts by entering the team website name when it asks for customer ID on the iScorecast screen.

2. Pictures are uploaded on a per device basis. If you are using an iOS device, the "flip side" of a player card shows the image (requires internet connection). The images are also available on the Admin Website, the iScorecasts, and the Roster page of a Team Website.