Error or not on stolen base?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
FDT92

Error or not on stolen base?

Post by FDT92 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:06 am

Runner on 1st steals second cleanly. Throw from catcher was on target but runner beat the throw. Runner is popping up from slide as the ball arrives and ricochets off her helmet and into outfield. Runner scores from second.

I have the stolen base for 2nd, but is it a 2 base error and if so on who? The catcher threw the ball to the exact spot it should have been. Is it an error on the SS for not getting there? or does runner get credit for 3 stolen bases?

I though I read in the rule book that if a fielder, runner, and ball all get to the same place at the same time it is not an error, just a "collision".
mprusak

Re: Error or not on stolen base?

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 6:44 am

I believe you would charge a two base error to the catcher in this case. (admittedly, a tough break error).

When a throw hits a runner and leads to advancement of any runners, the error is generally given to the thrower.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 am

Before I answer that, where was the SS in relation to the throw?
FDT92

Post by FDT92 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:01 am

SS was straddling 2nd but as the runner popped up, her head came in between the ball and the SS glove.

At first glance it looks like everyone was in the proper positions.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 7:07 am

I'm going to have to look at my reference notes and see what the proper scoring for that would be. Give me about five minutes.
Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 7:15 am

Everything I've looked at gives me a different answer. It was a good throw, on target, then the catcher certainly is not at fault. I would call it good baserunning and cut it down the middle. Score to third "On the Throw" and Steal home.

This play is another example of a judgement call where 5 different scorekeepers could be watching the same game and score it 5 different ways.

ETA: Remember that in order for an error to be charged, the fielder has to MISPLAY the ball. The throw was on target, the glove was right where it should've been to catch the ball, then I don't charge an error. On the same vein, if a ball is rolling foul, nobody can get to it quite yet, but nobody is in a real big hurry to kill it because it's obviously foul, but then hits a rock and skips fair, is there an error? Maybe a mental one, but that's not a chargeable statistical error.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 am

MLB rules would very clearly contradict this assessment:

10.12.a.7

(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:

(7) whose throw takes an unnatural bounce, touches a base or the pitcher's plate, or touches a runner, a fielder or an umpire, thereby permitting any runner to advance;

Rule 10.12(a)(7) Comment: The official scorer shall apply this rule even when it appears to be an injustice to a fielder whose throw was accurate. For example, the official scorer shall charge an error to an outfielder whose accurate throw to second base hits the base and caroms back into the outfield, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance, because every base advanced by a runner must be accounted for.
Mark

Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 am

We're not talking about MLB though, we're talking about LL, HS, Travel U18.

My HS rule book says...
NFHS 9.6.5 wrote: An error is charged against a fielder for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter; or prolongs the time a player continues to be a runner; or permits the runner to advance one or more bases. If it is impossible to assign an error to an individual player, the the team will be assesser with an error.
EXCEPTIONS:
5. A fielder is not charged with an error for accurately throwing to a base when the baseman fails to stop or try to stop the ball, provided there was good reason for such throw. If the runner advances because of the throw, the error is charged to the baseman of fielder who should have covered that base.
If anything it would be an error on the shortstop, but in a case like that, more often then not, it's not charged as an error.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 am

Understood that we arent talking MLB, but I dont see where OP stated what level it was.

I think MLB rules are often referenced where a local rule doesn't exist that supersedes it.

I'm not convinced that your referenced rule applies in this case.

Then again, I'm no expert on NFHS (or anything else really :-) )
Mark

Bryan D Shepherd

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 am

FDT92 wrote:Throw from catcher was on target but runner beat the throw.
Now granted we didn't see it, but according to what he said that absolves the catcher of an error by NFHS rules.
NFHS 9.6.5 wrote:
5. A fielder is not charged with an error for accurately throwing to a base when the baseman fails to stop or try to stop the ball,

BTW: I won't call myself an expert on NFHS rules, but I do umpire.