Fielder's choice or hit

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Gamer mom

Fielder's choice or hit

Post by Gamer mom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 am

This weekend had a couple of situations almost the same. Would y'all score these situations as a hit or a fielders choice?

The first situation, runners on 2nd and 3rd. 1 out. Batter bunts back to the pitcher, runner from third takes off towards home, pitcher fields ball, he has plenty of time to throw to 1st base and get the out, but ends up throwing home to try and get the runner out from third. Great fielding and throw by the pitcher, but the catcher drops the ball upon the collision with the runner. I know it's an error on the catcher, but my question is can you score a Fielders Choice when an out wasn't made?

Second situation, bases loaded, 1 out. Batter comes up, hits a hard ground ball right at 1st baseman, all he had to do was reach 2 feet to his left and tag the base, and then throw home but instead he only throws home for the runner going home. The throw was bad and the runner scored. Aside from the 1st baseman having a total brain fart not tagging 1st and then making a bad throw home, again, is this a fielders choice or a hit, can it be a fielders choice if no out was made? I got the error charged for the throw, but I'm assuming we just chalk not tagging the base up to a mental error.
mprusak

Re: Fielder's choice or hit

Post by mprusak » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 am

An out is not required for a FC. Both situations you describe are FC's.

Note also, an error is not required as part of the "No Out" result, either. A fielder can decide to attempt to put out a lead runner, and the runner simply beats it out. If, the scorer believes the batter could have been put out, this is a FC.

MLB rule 10.05:

(b) The official scorer shall not credit a base hit when a:
(1) runner is forced out by a batted ball, or would have been forced out except for a fielding error;
(2) batter apparently hits safely and a runner who is forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner fails to touch the first base to which such runner is advancing and is called out on appeal. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;
(3) pitcher, the catcher or any infielder handles a batted ball and puts out a preceding runner who is attempting to advance one base or to return to his original base, or would have put out such runner with ordinary effort except for a fielding error. The official scorer shall charge the batter with a time at bat but no hit;
(4) fielder fails in an attempt to put out a preceding runner and, in the scorer's judgment, the batter-runner could have been put out at first base; or
Rule 10.05(b) Comment: Rule 10.05(b) shall not apply if the fielder merely looks toward or feints toward another base before attempting to make the putout at first base.
(5) runner is called out for interference with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, unless in the scorer's judgment the batter-runner would have been safe had the interference not occurred.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks, that's what I ultimately ended up doing. I just wanted to make sure.
suttio

Post by suttio » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:42 am

Another situation. Runners on 1st & 2nd with no outs. Batter hits a hard line drive to the left fielder. Runner is thrown out at third on the force out from the left fielder. Still a hit or an unfortunate fielders choice?
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 am

Unfortunate FC by the letter of the law.
Mark

suttio

Post by suttio » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks Mark. That's what I had. I was in the unpopular minority.

Thanks Again!
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 am

Yep, people struggle with that one, and many will give the hit anyway. I like to score it according to the rules.

10.05.b.1 above - does not make room for scorer's judgement.
Mark

suttio

Post by suttio » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks again. I will reference that before I get pummeled.
:)
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 am

Another good thread on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3949&hilit=front+office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark

PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 am

I'm with Mark on this one too. I always hate to score that one as an FC, but I think it is better to go by the rules as much as possible and be consistent.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs