Fielder's choice or hit

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
jcbeckman

Re: Fielder's choice or hit

Post by jcbeckman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:40 am

I agree, both are FC. But I want to point out in the second situation (bases loaded, 1 out) that the 1B did not have a brain fart - he played it right (other than the bad throw). If you tag first and get the force, there's no force at home any more, and you have to tag the runner. If you throw home first, catcher can force out runner from third and then throw back to 1B for force and double play. So not a bad decision at all, just bad execution.
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:12 am

Perhaps, but I think the best thing that could be said about that situation is that it was definitely a teachable moment.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 7:40 am

Gamer mom wrote: The first situation, runners on 2nd and 3rd. 1 out. Batter bunts back to the pitcher, runner from third takes off towards home, pitcher fields ball, he has plenty of time to throw to 1st base and get the out, but ends up throwing home to try and get the runner out from third. Great fielding and throw by the pitcher, but the catcher drops the ball upon the collision with the runner. I know it's an error on the catcher, but my question is can you score a Fielders Choice when an out wasn't made?
Yes. A fielder's choice is when an ATTEMPT is made on another runner and the runner can be played on. If they throw to another bag that there is no play at all, then it becomes could the batter have been put out? If yes, then FC, if no, the 1B.
Gamer mom wrote: Second situation, bases loaded, 1 out. Batter comes up, hits a hard ground ball right at 1st baseman, all he had to do was reach 2 feet to his left and tag the base, and then throw home but instead he only throws home for the runner going home. The throw was bad and the runner scored. Aside from the 1st baseman having a total brain fart not tagging 1st and then making a bad throw home, again, is this a fielders choice or a hit, can it be a fielders choice if no out was made? I got the error charged for the throw, but I'm assuming we just chalk not tagging the base up to a mental error.
FC. See my above reasoning. Clear play on the batter make it a FC.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 am

suttio wrote:Another situation. Runners on 1st & 2nd with no outs. Batter hits a hard line drive to the left fielder. Runner is thrown out at third on the force out from the left fielder. Still a hit or an unfortunate fielders choice?
FC, sadly.