Runs, RBIs and steals

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Chris

Runs, RBIs and steals

Post by Chris » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:54 pm

There are three questions here so forgive me:
1 - I've scored 2 of my son's games now and I've noticed that neither team has been credited with enough runs scored or RBIs to account for all the runs scored BUT the score of the game itself has been correctly tracked. For example, last night our team won 12-11 but our individual players were only credited with 2 runs scored (total) and only 1 RBI. The other team's players were only credited with 6 runs scored (total) and 4 RBIs. Am I doing something wrong? Does this have something to do with the reason I give for the player scoring (like "held up" at Home)?

2 - Here is the situation: men on 1st and 2nd. man on 2nd steals 3rd and man on 1st goes to 2nd on the throw to 3rd. I put down that the man on 2nd stole 3rd. Since no attempt was made to get the man on 1st as he "stole" 2nd, is this were I used "defensive indifference"? Does that mean that the man on 1st that went to 2nd does not get credit for a steal?

3 - same situation as above but this time, both runners advance on a passed ball. Do I note "passed ball" for each runner? If so, does that "credit" the catcher for 2 passed balls or only 1?
Chris

Re: Runs, RBIs and steals

Post by Chris » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm

OK... I played with a fake game just now.... so I have a follow up question:

when runners are on base and the ball is put "in play" by the batter, iscore first asks about what happened to the batter (i.e. "hit single" and all the other choices). From that, iscore figures out that the runners will probably move up (it seems to assume that runners will move up 1 base on a single, 2 bases on a double, etc.). When iscore asks what happened to the runners and assumes that the runner ended on the base he actually ended up on, I have been tapping the reason "held up", including times when iscore assumes a runner is has scored on some ball put in play. Perhaps I should be using "advanced by batter" more often? maybe that gives the batter credit for an RBI while tapping "held up" doesn't??

I love this app and will love it even more when I get used to all the little nuances.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Runs, RBIs and steals

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:29 pm

We submitted an update today that more than likely covers the stats issues you have seen (RBI / run calculations). Please see more info on that new release here:

http://iscore.freeforums.org/new-releas ... 4-t58.html

For #2, it would be up to you how you want to score the play. If you see it as a "double steal", then you should mark each player as Safe at their base and credit them both with a steal. If the player going from 2nd to 3rd was really the only steal, and the guy that went from 1st to 2nd only did so because of the play to 3rd, then Defensive Indifference could be the appropriate way to mark that play. D.I. would NOT give the player credit for a steal. Another situation you will see like this is men on 1st and 3rd, guy on 1st runs to 2nd on the pitch, and defense does not make an attempt to throw down to 2nd (team is up by a lot of runners and doesn't care about the runner for example). In that case, it is Defensive Indifference, and the runner would not be credited with a steal. Only the person entering the play can know that though, so you have to press the appropriate scoring buttons.

For #3, you should note that each player advanced on a passed ball, and it would only be one passed ball against the catcher because it all happened on the same pitch. If it happened on separate pitches, it would be two passed balls.

For the follow up (I'll call it #4), you should generally use "Advanced By Batter" for the runners that were already on base, and Held Up for the batter (it always asks what the batter did as well for cases like a batter hitting a single, but then there was an overthrow or error that then allowed the batter to advance another base). For the most part, we are able to internally treat Advanced by Batter and Held Up as meaning the same thing statistcally, and in the scorebook of the new release, held up will be shown as adavanced by batter on the baselines.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, and thank you for using iScore Baseball.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs