Caught Stealing on play when runner safe by error

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
ffraas1

Caught Stealing on play when runner safe by error

Post by ffraas1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Cather throws out the runner by three steps, as the tag is applied, the fielder drops the ball. It goes as an error on the fielder and the base runner gets a caught stealing, the catcher gets a assist. How would you score that in the program.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Caught Stealing on play when runner safe by error

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm

For now you would have to tap the Runner, Safe, Second, Error, tap the fielder. This will not capture the Caught Stealing or Assist stat. You would have to edit that by manually adjusting stats post game. We will add this to our list of enhancements for future updates.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
ffraas1

Post by ffraas1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks. That's what I did. I then had to adjust an assist for the catcher, a caught stealing for the catcher and a caught stealing for the runner.
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:49 am

I'm confused, if the runner is safe by error, why is he and the catcher still credited/charged with a caught stealing. I can understand maybe crediting the catcher, but if the runner came in sliding to second making the fielder drop the ball, then that's on the fielder, the base runner did his job, why is he then charged with a caught stealing? (I don't know that was the situation, but if it was would the base runner still be charged with a CS?)
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 am

Per MLB rules 10.07f:

(f) When in the scorer's judgment a runner attempting to steal is safe because of a muffed throw, the official scorer shall not credit a stolen base. The official scorer shall credit an assist to the fielder who made the throw, charge an error to the fielder who muffed the throw and charge the runner with "caught stealing."

The reason is, the runner would have been out if not for the error. Much like a player does not get a hit when reaching on error.
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:20 am

Yeah, I guess once I think about it, that makes sense. I've been scoring that wrong. I haven't been giving a stolen base credit, because obviously he got there on error, but I haven't been charging caught stealing either. Oh well, from now on......
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:16 am

We have added scoring for this particular play to our next update... you will see it in the product updates section when we post to Apple.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Kid-dude

Post by Kid-dude » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:58 pm

I used the new "caught stealing with err" and it seems my stats are wrong. It asks who made the error (in my case the second baseman) so I press that position. The words come out right but the in the game stats the catcher gets the error and the second baseman gets the CS. Can someone check to see if I am nuts.

Thanks!