MLB Rosters and pre-existing data

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
joehyuk

MLB Rosters and pre-existing data

Post by joehyuk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:56 am

I've downloaded the new 2.0 and purchased the MLB Rosters. I also have some MLB teams and players that I manually entered. What is the best way to delete old teams and players, while still preserving the games that I scored? If that's not possible, what's the best way to delete old teams and players if I don't care about keeping the previous games that I scored? Please let me know. Thanks.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: MLB Rosters and pre-existing data

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am

Probably the best way to handle this situation is to create a new League called "Old MLB" or something like that. Then, assign the old MLB players you had created, the old teams, and the old games you scored to that league. You can then turn that league off to hide all the players/teams/games, and then just turn the league back on when you want to view them. This way the effort you put into scoring those games is not lost.

If you truly don't care about the data, you can also just delete the games, players, and/or teams throught eh Game Manager, Player Manager and Team Manager.
joehyuk

Post by joehyuk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 am

If I don't care about the data, is there an easy what to bulk-delete the players and teams I added?

BTW, I forgot to mention it, but love the new update so far.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:25 am

There isn't really a bulk delete, but you can turn off the MLB League so that you can easily distinguish between your typed in players and the ones created by the MLB Import.
joehyuk

Post by joehyuk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am

That's what I did. Thanks.

Also, if I delete a player or a team, do the games which involve that player or team get automatically deleted as well?
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:18 am

because FTM made the assignments flexible, you need to deleate in each manager group:
Player manager, team manager and game manager - independently to get it all gone.

(a bit tedious but not that hard,
game manager - Select a game use trash can icon at bottom right of screen
player manager - Edit key (upper right) and then the red minus signs player by player
team manager - same thing, red minus signs
joehyuk

Post by joehyuk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks, but the point of my question was to see if I could delete the players and teams but keep the games. But from what you say, it sounds like I can do that because of the flexibility.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:37 am

joehyuk wrote:Thanks, but the point of my question was to see if I could delete the players and teams but keep the games. But from what you say, it sounds like I can do that because of the flexibility.
Misunderstood, thought you wanted it all gone.

May want to wait for FTM to verify that this is the case,

i am 95% sure it is correct, that you can delete the teams and the players and keep the games (b/c of the way they built the database) but i can not simulate and give you 100% asurance (sorry)

A good tip however. you can always export your data before you do a bunch of deleting - just in case an oops happens and then they can help import it back to pre condition..
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:57 am

Yes the database was designed in such a way that you can delete teams and players and the games will still remain. The suggestion to Export your data before performing any kind of deletion is a very good one though.
joehyuk

Post by joehyuk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Great, thanks! I figured that was the case with players, since they can come and go, but wasn't as sure regarding teams.