Not to beat a dead horse on errors

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
GatorBoy

Not to beat a dead horse on errors

Post by GatorBoy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:14 am

Please clarify this senario in the stats/scorecard

Runner on 3B, batter ROE made by the second baseman trying to throw the batter out at 1B. Runner on 3B holds and only scores after the ball passes by the 1B to the fence. I can score it two different ways however I am not sure how the stat's will reflect this error charged to the fielder.

Case 1. if I touch (inplay/error,player 2B (casued the error), runner 3B safe at home held up (I don't want advanced by batter to score it as an RBI) and then safe at first held up the score card indicates the batter got an RBI and the runner on 3B was advanced by batter. However it only indicates one error on the play E4 for the batter

Case 2. if i touch (inplay/error, player 2B (caused the error) , runner 3B safe at home error, safe at 1B held up; the scorecard appears correct however I show runner on 3B scoring from E4, and show batter on 1B via E4 (with no RBI). Will the second baseman be charged with (2) errors in the case? Let me add that on the score sheet it indicated the runner 3B score E4 in a "blue font color", and the batter who ROE is in a "green font color".

Is the color change my indication the the error is only counted once? Once again, there is not a better product on the market. Keep up the great work and unbelievable professionalism.
bsweetser

Re: Not to beat a dead horse on errors

Post by bsweetser » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:59 am

If I understand this correctly from other posts, this should be scored how you describe in case 2, but it will currently look like 2 errors in 1.65, but 2.0 (when it finally gets here) will fix this retroactively to show as only a single error. Are you seeing it show as 2 errors in the box score?

ben
GatorBoy

Post by GatorBoy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 am

Yes, it shows as two erros made by the defence, which I am assuming will coorelate to 2 errors charged to the second baseman. If it is to be fixed retroactively then which case would be correct to input so the stat's come out correctly? Case 2 is the most intuitive, and quite frankly I hope the new version gives us the option to score the run as an RBI or not. There can be some senariors in which the RBI should go to the batter regardless of the error. For instance if it was a deep pop fly and the runner was going to tag up and score anyways then regardless of whether the outfielder drop the ball or not the RBI should go to the batter. However it should still be an ROE and not a hit.

Thanks for your input.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 am

gatorBoy - My experience "Held up" and "Advance by batter" generally produce the same result in the score sheet and stats (hence the RBI in scenerio 1) . FTM, Please correct me if i am wrong and clarify the differences in the two.

My understanding is scenerio 2 is the normal method we will see in v2.0. but until someone but FTM has the new version. we are just guesssing. My guess is if you want to give the RBI to the batter, you can still use home> advance by batter to credit the RBI. (like you did in scenerio one). I will admit i have pretty much given up on past games, either i corrected them then via excel or will deal with in new version as they come up.

One of the things proposed early on and i think under consideration for later version is the ability to free text comments on a specific play, that would allow you to capture some of the real unusal things that inevitably happen, especially in little league ball. then you edit/fix remember later.. like he would have scored anyway. or double error, throwing and catching (if you are really a tuff score keeper)

FTM - I am curious why the color change in case 2 also. not sure whyblue and/or green
GatorBoy

Post by GatorBoy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 am

OhioTex I agree with you. However for my team purposes I think I will use both cases. If we are in the field then I will use Case 1 so my infielder doesn't get credited with (2) errors (I could care less about the RBI for the other team). And if we are batting I will use Case 2 so that our batter isn't credited with a RBI that should not have occured (some of my dad's are very competitive with the stat's); and again I could care less the opponents team was scored with (2) errors.

Although, what is that going to do to my pitching stat's; earned or unearned run. Oh well, that's a topic for another day.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:29 am

Scenario 2 is likely the method that should be used, and it should retroactively fix the 2 error issue. If you want to export your database to us, we can email you the box score from version 2.0 to see if it is what you would expect. We will also look at the green vs. blue to see what the reason for that is.