Scoring errors correctly

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
GatorBoy

Scoring errors correctly

Post by GatorBoy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Can you please explain how i can score an error such as 6-E3 or E5-3 etc... In the first case shortstop fields the ball cleanly and makes a good throw but the 1B drops the ball. I can only seem to score it as an error and then the app asks which fielder made the error (1B in this senario) so it doesn't reflect in the fielding stat's for the shortstop. Is this something I am overlooking?

Please be patient with me, because I am new to this app and am bound to be posting after every game.

Chris
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Scoring errors correctly

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 pm

With version 1.65, we do not show fielding stats. Starting with version 2.0, we do show fielding stats. We do not distinguish between throwing errors and fielding errors, so the scoring of the play is the same whether you are using version 1.65 or version 2.0.

For the first situation (error on first baseman), you would click "In Play", "Error", (touch location of hit ball), "1B" (person who made error), "Held Up".

For the second situation (error on third baseman), you would click "In Play", "Error", (touch location of hit ball), "3B", "Held Up".

This will put the fielding stats with the correct players. There was not an out made, so you would not have "6-3" or "5-3" on the scorecard. Those designations are used when outs are made.
GatorBoy

Post by GatorBoy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:51 pm

How do you keep the total chances (TC) stat, assists (even though no out was made) and the fielding % for each player without knowing who fielded the ball. Going back to my original example of the 6-E3 would suggest the SS had a chance, made the play without error only for the first baseman to drop the ball and be charged with the error. If that was the only play for that player in that position (Short Stop) he would be scored a 0 for total chances and 0% for fielding % and assists because the app didn't reconginize the ball was hit to this player.

If I just touch a location on the screen between the 3B and SS position how would the stat's know which infielder fielded the ball cleanly and had the "chance" to field the play?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:30 pm

We are using Total Chances = Assists + Putouts + Errors.

In your example of E5-3, there is no assist or putout, only an error, and everything is handled just fine by scoring the way we noted above.

In the example of 6-E3, we do not have a way of capturing the assist for shortstop currently (i.e. an assist CAN be made even if an out is not made in the case of the first baseman dropping a ball that would have resulted in an out. The shortstop should still be awarded an assist.) You would still capture the error on the first baseman (thus bringing down his fielding percentage), but you would not capture the assist. This does have the net effect of the fielding percentage for the fielder not being as high as it could be.

We are sorry for the oversight - we were not originally including fielding stats at all in this release but tried to squeeze it in since the release was already taking longer than previous releases.

We will add the capturing of "touches" so that assists can be made even when a putout is not made in a future version.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 am

Good question GatorBoy, I was wondering how FTM would say v2 was going to handle that...
(since no fielding stats are reported out in current version)

Thanks for the clarification FTM, and agree adding both "Touches", and distinguishing between "Throwing vs Fielding" error, are good additions to the list for future releases.

On the FTM comment
" We are sorry for the oversight - we were not originally including fielding stats at all in this release but tried to squeeze it in since the release was already taking longer than previous releases."
I felt basic fielding stats were a big miss since v1 and appreciate getting a partial implementation squeezed into the infamous v2.0. As with other new features, I suspect fielding stats will not be perfect, and users will suggest many more areas to improve. I appreciate the FTM support and willingness to say, oops wrong or missed that and then add to the list for next release. I am confident FTM will be up to the challenge of helping clarify, identify, prioritize and then implement enhancements. . thanks again for squeezing this initial pass at fielding stats into this release ( I can't imagine having had to wait for a later release to get the basic stats.)

by the way.... "Hurry up apple .... I want my 2.0"
GatorBoy

Post by GatorBoy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:58 am

Thank you FTM for the clarification (at 10:25pm). I only posed the question because I thought I was overlooking something. That would be a great add in the future. Your customer service appears to be second to none. Keep up the great work, and this app. is a VERY nice program.