TIP: How to Manage Starting Line Up & Substitutions (and why different) - FAQ

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
OhioTex

TIP: How to Manage Starting Line Up & Substitutions (and why different) - FAQ

Post by OhioTex » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:00 am

It is the beginning of new year for many baseball teams, and many new users of iscore baseball...

one of the Frequent things that trips up new users is the difference between "Team Manager Team Rosters" and Game Manager Game Starting Line Ups, and in Game Substitutions.

I saw this post by FTM and thought i would make a FAQ for it..

Headline: If you are new user and not viewed the short online tutorial videos.. this is a great one to view
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php

FTMSupport wrote: Substitutions are done by tapping the position on the main scoring screen and selecting a new player. . Changes to the lineup are you saying that the player started the game.

The tutorial video part 3 here describes the proper way to do substitutions (it is actually much easier than going to the lineup screen):

http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php

If you use line up screen instead of substitution screen, You can "fix" your game by going to Game Manager, selecting the game, selecting Pitch by Pitch, tapping the Game Starts event, tapping Edit next to Starting Lineup, and putting in the original starting pitcher. Then scroll to where your substitute pitchers should be in the game, tap the event, tap Edit next to Substitutes, and sub in your pitchers. All the stats will be updated after you do this. If you follow the steps in the video to make your substitutions, you will not have to do this in the future.
MichaelMcConnell

Re: Tutorial on Substitutions vs Starting Line Ups

Post by MichaelMcConnell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Sort of a derivation of the substitution question:
Team is batting only 9

Player A sits first 4 innings
Player B is in CF
Player C is pitching first 4 innings

5th inning:
Player A goes in to pitch
Player B comes out to sit remaining of game
Player C goes to LF

Player A assumes Player B batting position in the order
Whatever I did when making the subs, player A assumes all of Player B's stats for first 4 innings.

Help! How do i go back in in pitch by pitch and correctly give Player B and Player A their individual batting stats?
Mike
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Defensive substitutions are made by tapping a fielder, then tapping who took their place. Offensive substitutions are made by tapping a batter, then tapping who takes their place on the bench.

Training video 3 at the previously mentioned website (http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) covers this very well.

To make the edits post game, see this link instead:

http://iscoresports.com/baseball/kb/faq ... _edits.php
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
slbailey

Post by slbailey » Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 am

The official rule is that the batter is entitled to the entire box for the duration of his batting session. The catcher must adapt and get out of the batter's way. As a catching instructor, this is one of the things I know pretty well :D
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 am

Thought I would post these great links..
mprusak wrote:See these links for tutorials on:

Substiutions: http://iscoresports.com/baseball/kb/faq ... tution.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Batting Lineup: http://iscoresports.com/baseball/kb/faq ... atters.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These should help with some of your questions. Feel free to post back with remaining questions after that.
oconnor.jb

Post by oconnor.jb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Sometimes I get incomplete starting lineup information (imagine that!), or I'm scouting a game and have no starting lineup information at all, so I have to start the game before lineup info is entered. I think I've been doing things correctly, but wanted to confirm.

First of all, here's a general tip to help with entering lineups. I watch the other team(s) during warmups to get the players' numbers and create players and add them to the lineup. Then, when I get the actual lineup card, all I have to do is put them in the right order and assign positions. Names go in on a time available basis (often after the game). Before I close the game, I use the action "Copy Lineup to Roster" so it's all saved for future games. Sometimes you can also get roster info from team websites, so you have it entered in advance (if you know who you will be playing).

In worst case, scouting a game (so I have no lineup info for either team), home team takes the field for warmups, so I put all the players I can see numbers for in the lineup and assign positions. If I can't see a number, I make up placeholders (BTW, we faced a team with a player wearing 0 and one wearing 00 and 00 gets converted to 0). I've learned it is best if I leave the Batting setting to No, otherwise I forget to adjust the order before recording at bats. (I switch them to Yes as I adjust the order.)

As visiting players come to bat, I use (working from memory here) Misc -> Edit Starting Lineups to add players and get them in the correct order (and pray the team goes once through the lineup before any subs start to happen) and assign Batting = Yes.

When the visiting team takes the field the first time, I can typically enter the rest of the players in the lineup, and then assign the batting order as they come up later.

Once I've seen all players through the batting order once, then I start using the substitution screen by tapping on a batter or a fielder.

Sound reasonable?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 pm

For "00", use "100" on Android devices.

Yes, your steps sound like the way most people handle unknown rosters.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
DuncanG

Post by DuncanG » Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am

If your line up has 9 playing and 2 sitting (i.e. batting "no"), when you make the substitution (on offense or defense by clicking on the batter or fielder), does iscore automatically change the sitting substitution batting to "yes" as well as insert the substitution in the the batting line up that was selected? I understand how to go in and select the substitution, I am just not confident that the player in the field has been automatically set to "batting no" and taken out of the lineup/game and the substitute has been changed to batting "yes" in the same batting order.
oconnor.jb

Post by oconnor.jb » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 am

Offensive and defensive substitutions are handled independently, so if a team is not batting the entire roster, you need to do both substitutions at the moment the player enters the game.

Let's say your team is about to take the field and the coach makes a substitution - e.g. 33 for 22 at CF on defense
Since your defense is showing on the screen, tap 33, the CF, and choose 22 from the list. Then, at the top of the screen, press the Offense button. Press the position in the batting order where 33 is, then select 22 from the list.

If the substitution occurs when your team is about to bat, then press the batter (doesn't matter if that's not the player being subbed for). Press the position in the batting order where 33 is, then select 22 from the list. If you know where the sub will be going on defense, press the Defense button, press 33's position in the field, and choose 22 from the list.

Follow up to my big post above: I finally figured out how to use "Quick Roster" (under Team Manager) - makes things a lot easier.
DuncanG

Post by DuncanG » Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am

Ok. I understand doing both for defense and office. When it is done this way, does it automatically turn on batter "YES" for the sub and conversely batter "NO" for the player being replaced? I have tried a mock run at it and it appears that when you tap and do the defense/offense change, the batting satus "YES/NO" is not automatically switched....unless I am missing something.