Figuring ERA with inconsistent number of innings

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Gamer mom

Figuring ERA with inconsistent number of innings

Post by Gamer mom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:08 am

I have a question about ERA's. We would normally play 6 innings in regulation (11U). We don't always play 6 innings though, mercy rules or time limits keep us from playing all six. Truth be told 4 innings is about the average. Should I go in and change the number of innings that was completed every game or keep it at a standard 6?
team mom

Re: Figuring ERA with inconsistent number of innings

Post by team mom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:44 am

To have a more meaningful ERA, you should change the number of innings per game. I changed my default to 4 since that seems to be how many we usually get in during timed games. It is easy to change it to a higher number during the game if it looks like you will go longer.
Team Mom

Check out the new iscore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:56 am

Thank you! That's kind of what I was thinking, but didn't know for sure.
cpmsms

Post by cpmsms » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 am

You always base an ERA on the SCHEDULED NUMBER OF INNINGS. Even if you average four innings per-game, you would still calculate the ERA based on a six inning game.
team mom

Post by team mom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 am

I would disagree from a youth perspective. The amount of scheduled innings (max) is pretty irrelevant since most games are timed and it is rare that the max number of innings are played. Basing your games on 6 when most games are 4 will not give you relevant pitcher stats. At the older ages basing it on 6 may make more sense.
Team Mom

mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 am

My .02...

Agree that its based on scheduled innings.

A MLB game that goes fewer than 9 innings (or more than 9), does not change the era calculation, right?
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
cpmsms

Post by cpmsms » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:30 am

If you ask the Elias Sports Bureau, Major League Baseball Advanced Media or even S.T.A.T.S. Inc. they would concur with my statement that you base an ERA on the schedule number of innings, not the number you chose (in this case it would be four) because a team doesn't play all six.

Also, keep in mind that if you do use the six inning rule, your pitcher ERA numbers would actually decrease so it is of benefit to your team, and it's pitchers, that you keep to basing the ERA on scheduled number of innings.

FYI: I work youth tournaments during the entire month of July, we base ERA on the scheduled number of innings in a game, not a number that we choose JUST BECAUSE.

Please consider keeping your ERA numbers true, not basing them on what you think.

Just my own two cents.
team mom

Post by team mom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 am

I'll stick with 4. We've never played a 6 inning game. Not interested in making stats look better or worse, but am interested in what reflects what we actually play.
Team Mom

cpmsms

Post by cpmsms » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:41 am

PERSONAL OPINION TO TEAM MOM -- Your stats are not official. Your are basing stats on what you think rather than going by the rule. Please consider basing your pitchers stats on six innings as that is the scheduled number of innings. Your only cheating your own players with miscued numbers based on your own opinion rather than following the prescribed rule of the game.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 am

team mom wrote:I'll stick with 4. We've never played a 6 inning game. Not interested in making stats look better or worse, but am interested in what reflects what we actually play.
I'm curious about this statement. Is that true? You NEVER played a 6 inning game despite being scheduled to do so? Why is that? We play 6 inning games and I bet 75-80% of them go the full 6. The majority of those that do not are due to mercy rule. A few are due to time limits.

Again, just curious as to what is precluding you from finishing games 100% of the time. What age is this?
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!