Website quarrels?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Danger

Re: Website quarrels?

Post by Danger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 am

I don't have a problem with anyone seeing my stats. In fact, if they request it, I'm more than happy to email their player info to them. I think it's a very minor concern that some parents might question batting order or something like that.

My biggest concern with publishing stats is for the individual kids. For example, we have one girl who has really struggled at the plate and she is constantly worried that she's "not good enough" to play with us. The coaches know that they would never drop her from the team. It's not one of those teams where the coaches are constantly "recruiting over" their current players. But, still, an 11-year old girl doesn't understand that and is always worried that she's dragging the team down or that she will be replaced. Pressing too hard only makes things worse. Therefore, not making the stats readily accessible is one thing that can be done to keep those fears at a minimum.

On the other hand, I certainly don't hide the way I'm scoring something. We have someone who keeps one of those old-fashioned pencil & paper scorebooks and they are constantly asking me how I scored a particular play. I never hesitate to explain how I scored something and why. And the Games/Scorecasts are readily available individually on the website if anyone wants to see it. Best of both worlds that way.
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:34 am

Yeah, I think the scorecasts are a great addition to the whole iscore package. I haven't set it up yet for anyone "to watch" yet as we've only played one tournament, and that ended up being rained out. The boys only got 1 pool game in before the bottom dropped out. But even having the info after the fact is great, I'm big on taking notes through out the game, so there's not a lot guessing from lack of details in the scorebook.

I think sending out individual player cards to parents may actually be a great way to go, too.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm in the public stats camp (at least for the parents of the team). The team my son is currently with is not, but that's ok with me. The coaches keep it to themselves for now. I've caught some grief in the past when the stats were public about how I score certain plays, but once I start going on and on and on about scoring rules people tend to leave my scoring decisions alone. However, there are still going to be some parents that believe you are scoring against their kid on purpose no matter what you say. I've found that those parents are usually a problem for the coaches anyway and there is also nothing I can do short of scoring everything their kid's way to appease them. I stopped worrying about them. I've found as long as I stay consistent and avoid any agendas (coaches or parents), then I can keep the majority of the parents from being mad at me. :)
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs