ERA based on 7 innings instead of 9?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
CoachBob

ERA based on 7 innings instead of 9?

Post by CoachBob » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Is there a way to calculate the era based on 7 innings instead of 9?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: ERA based on 7 innings instead of 9?

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I did a quick search, and every search I found shows ERA as runs per 9 innings. I saw some suggestions from people about using the # of innings, but most of the responses seemed to say it was not a good idea because an "ERA" of 1.00 based on a 5 inning game is not the same as a true ERA of 1.00 based on a 9 inning game, so actually leads to some confusion.

That being said, I will add this to our list of enhancement requests (the ability to generate a new ERA-like value based on a different number of innings).

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
CoachBob

Post by CoachBob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 am

A true era is indeed based on 9 innings, but since high school games are usually 7 innings, a true ERA for them would be based on 7 innings since an era states how many earned runs a pitcher gives up over the course of a game. So if as pitcher gave up 1 run in a 7 inning high school game, his era would 1.00, but if you used the MLB formula of 9 innings his era would 1.29. I am not sure how other coaches would feel about it but it would be nice to have the option of using 7 or 9 as the base.
wrast

Post by wrast » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 am

Our youth league and tournaments we play are all based on 6 inning games. ERA stat should be customizable based on number of innings. Please at least allow 6, 7, and 9 innings to be selected and used for ERA stat calculations.

Great app by the way. I was thinking of writing it myself actually. But not now!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:27 am

We have choosing the # of innings to use for ERA calculations on our list of future enhancements, and when we put it in, you will be able to set your device to use any # you want.

Thank you again, and please keep the ideas coming.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs