New season

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
OhioTex

Re: New season

Post by OhioTex » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm

mtcook wrote:...... Example: In the 2011 season, I have 33 different teams..
You have 33 teams or you play 33 teams?

just my experience having used the software for both my son and daughters teams for three years.. they are each on three different teams a year.. (Spring school team, summer travel team, and fall development team), the each play 10-60 opponents depending on the season spring/summer/fall... 2009,2010,2011. using leagues keeps it all organized and clear .

I tried "reusing a team" one time from summer to fall because my teams only add a few players and drop a few players , like school ball.. and i found it to be confusing.. the next summer when i wanted to look back our team last year . same for opponents i found more value in reentering their names in new roster year to year to compare. after that experience i now make new teams . much cleaner data structure for me..
jcheng

Post by jcheng » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm

This is an optional and more advanced tip, which increases the management slightly, but has a payoff for future seasons:

I score for son's baseball and daughter's softball, during regular season, tournament, travel, etc.

I create a couple leagues just for players, to serve as a player pool to select from:
"pLittle League"
"pTournament"
"pSoftball"...
You many not want to make the player leagues too narrow - I use a league for baseball tournaments, another for little league, another for softball, another for softball tournaments.

When I create a player or team, I assign the player to the appropriate league(s) - it helps to turn on the appropriate player league, as well as the game league, when creating a team so that they are automatically assigned to that league. If you have a lot of players already, it is a significant investment to go back and assign them to both a player league and a season league...

But for the next season/tournament, I create a new team and turn on the relevant player league. I can choose players from that league if they exist already, or just create a new player. It helps to limit the player list for baseball vs softball. Part of my post-game review is to make sure that the player is assigned to the correct season and player league, as well as review PBP, synchronize, export, etc.

Periodically, I turn on "All" leagues, and go through Player Manager. If there are duplicate players, you can merge them, but be sure to check which leagues they are in separately and note them, because you will need to re-assign them after the merge. But it really helps to see previous players you've played against.

Again, this is an optional step, but may have use in filtering your player list.
mtcook

Post by mtcook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 am

(Sorry to keep pounding this issue, but one more question) I have created seperate Leagues for the 2011 season and the 2012 season. I have re-named all of my teams from 2011 with a 2011 prefix and assigned them only to the 2011 Leagues. Do I need to go and verify that all of my existing games are only assigned to the 2011 Leagues? Plus, I will now need to add all new teams for the 2012 League (season) with the 2012 prefix. Does this sound like the best approach?
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Keep pounding. That is what the community is for.

Since games drive the data.For me the priority is to get games in the right league, teams are a secondary priority, and players third.As I go through a season I try to be sure the league de jour is active, so players and games score are assigned to the right league... When you later rename a league
BAC_Mom

Post by BAC_Mom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:21 am

RE: #4b ) When creating new team roster under Team Manager, when you add players use the pick list for returning players and only create new players for those not in iscore at all yet. (turn on All League if you need to see all the players you have in player manager)

So I have created the new league for 2012 and a new roster for my son's 2012 team. when entering the returning players for the 2012 team, do I connect them to the 2012 only leagues or include the previous years leagues too?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:39 am

For returning players it is probably best to include both leagues.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 am

One of the super neat things about leagues is they are not limited to one to one relationships. .. you can have many to many relationships.. multiple players to multiple leagues. etc.