Scoring Co-ed Softball with uneven alternating lineup (answered, awaiting more user info)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
nomisnoj

Scoring Co-ed Softball with uneven alternating lineup (answered, awaiting more user info)

Post by nomisnoj » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:44 am

How do/can you iscore for a co-ed line-up when you have (when the league permits) an uneven amount of male to female players? For example, if you have 5 guys and 6 girls, after the the first 10 batters (M1, F1, M2, F2, M3, F3, M4, F4, M5, F5), the 11th batter would be the first male player (M1) before the 11th player (F6) making the order go to: M5, F5, M1, F6, M2, F1, M3, F2...). Thus the batting order would shift respectively at the turn of each rotation.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Scoring Co-ed Softball with uneven alternating lineup

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:11 am

We do not have a good way to support that kind of a lineup right now. I suppose you could use Skip Batter to get to the right batter, but it would be tedious having to skip that many batters each time.

We will add it to our list for a potential enhancement in the future. If anyone else has suggestions and/or uses these rules, please let us know so it can help us prioritize the request.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
roleary

Post by roleary » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I would also be interested in this feature. My co-ed softball league uses the same rules:

1) The entire roster bats (even if not playing in the field)
2) The batting sequence is Male-Female-Male.....etc

Looking forward to seeing this in the future! Thanks.

- ryan
plivengood

Post by plivengood » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:29 am

I play in a co-ed softball league that uses these rules as well (though I don't currently use iScore for that league - partly because of this difficulty). Our rules are bat the order, but you cannot bat more than two men in a row before you must bat a woman. You can play with 8, but no more than six men, and therefore if you are playing with less than four women then those women must "rotate" through the "female" positions in the order.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am

We have this concept of "two alternating lineups" on our list for future enhancements. It is an interesting challenge as it makes tracking who is/should be at bat not as straightforward. For example, say a man is at bat, and you use "Skip Batter" because that person left the game... would the next batter then be the next man? or would it skip to a woman? We also get requests to be able to add people to lineups after you have already batted through the rotation... how would this come into play in this alternating batting order scenario? How do you show a scorecard for this scenario? The standard idea of a column representing an inning would not apply because you might have the same woman batting twice in an inning even though all men have not batted... it makes creating the scorecard quite a challenge.

I'm sure there are other difficulties that we have not even mentioned here that will come up as well.

As iScore evolves, we will continue to keep this enhancement request in mind, and hopefully there will come a point where it fits with one or more of the other changes we will be making.
jevdokimoff

Post by jevdokimoff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 pm

I too would love to see an app that could handle co-ed leagues that use these rules. I think most of us are using the double lineups on a normal card and jumping back and forth, which is confusing. The only thing I could suggest that might work for a software solution is to enter the Mens lineup and the Womens lineup and have the app create a lineup of that just runs straight through for something like 10 at bats for each person. While this is cumbersome, we've done it with excel and created a 4 page score book that acts as a single lineup of something like 130 players. In a software version this would work quite well as long as the software is programed to calculate stats for each player cumulatively.
GregAlso

Post by GregAlso » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 am

I just posted a request for this enhancement too. This is, from what I understand, the most common problems any co-ed softball player/manager would have with this app. I saw it said it supported softball and a 10th fielder and thought I would be able to use it. I should have looked a little deeper. I'm a bit sad it won't work for my league.

BTW, in your skip batter scenario, if you skipped the man in a boy-girl-boy-girl lineup it would be the next man on the lineup batting. No two people of the same gender can bat next to each other.

It is possible, in the interim, that you enhance the skip batter feature to allow us to skip directly to the batter that we want to get to instead of having to manually skip each individual batter. Maybe a skip to feature?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 am

"Skip to" might be a possibility... it still would not solve the scorecard issue however. We have the enhancement on our list, and continue to think about it, but do not as of yet have a good solution.

Thank you.
jamieharrison14

Post by jamieharrison14 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm

FTMSupport wrote:"Skip to" might be a possibility... it still would not solve the scorecard issue however. We have the enhancement on our list, and continue to think about it, but do not as of yet have a good solution.
It's nearly impossible to do when already IN the game, but how about asking at the beginning of the game how many girls and guys are playing, then just have the app KNOW that it needs to rotate guy/girl throughout the game. Seems straightforward enough to code if you get it at the start of the game, no?

Some leagues even have an option that if you bat through the lineup, whether or not you have 3 outs, that half inning is over.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:22 pm

We have a way to technically do it just by adding gender to each player, but were hoping to have a way to handle scorecards. If anyone has an idea, please chime in.

You can actually do the ending of a half inning without 3 outs now... just click on Misc on the scoring screen, and click "End Inning". That will end the current half inning. (This is used a lot in youth baseball / softball when innings cap out at a certain number of runs.)