Scoring Co-ed Softball with uneven alternating lineup (answered, awaiting more user info)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
davidlimbaugh

Re: Scoring Co-ed Softball with uneven alternating lineup

Post by davidlimbaugh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 am

FTMSupport wrote:We have a way to technically do it just by adding gender to each player, but were hoping to have a way to handle scorecards. If anyone has an idea, please chime in.

You can actually do the ending of a half inning without 3 outs now... just click on Misc on the scoring screen, and click "End Inning". That will end the current half inning. (This is used a lot in youth baseball / softball when innings cap out at a certain number of runs.)
I had a similar situation with a high school baseball scrimmage where we just batted different kids inning to inning to get everyone at bats. I literally 'poked' the batter and substituted him with the batter going up to the plate. The scorecard seemed to handle that well? Perhaps to make the red out text just a tad smaller and in the saved landscape just above the out in a small font of a different color show the uniform number of that batter to make it easier to understand when you see several batters in one spot in the batting order? See what I mean???
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:30 am

Thank you for the suggestion.
Evan

Post by Evan » Mon May 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Has any progress been made on this issue?

I just discovered this app and it sounds great except for this issue. Every co-Ed league I've played in is like this. It is very rare that we actually have equal numbers of girls and guys so that we can just use a straight batting order.

Making the skip batter feature more convenient sounds like a decent solution that should be easy to implement.

I actually don't care about the scorecard and it's possible that others feel the same way. If that is the major sticking point, perhaps you could release a version without the scorecard feature.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 pm

We still have this on our list, but it is not yet at the top. Thank you for throwing another vote in however as it does help us prioritize going forward.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Evan

Post by Evan » Mon May 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Can you say what improvements are planned? i.e. no scorecard, duplicate player scorecard, some other solution, or is that a bridge you'll cross when you get there?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Scoring Co-ed Softball with uneven alternating lineup (answered, future enhancement request)

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 25, 2010 1:46 am

It is not a decision we have made yet. The good news is that means we are still open to suggestions for anyone that has good ideas on the issues outlined previously.
kukaless

Post by kukaless » Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am

I too am very interested in this feature...Please add my vote for this feature of alternating Guy/Girl lineup.
Thanks
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am

please see this post..

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
selimevets

Post by selimevets » Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Sharing my workaround:

I play in a leagure that requires MMF lineups. In this particular game I had 8M, 3F.

I created TWO extra players, one flagged as non-batting ("Generic Sitter"), to enable offensive substitutions. **Without at least one non-batting player, Offensive Subs options are hidden.** (FTMSupport - could you please enable Offensive Subs without having to carry this fake player?)

The second player was in the rotation, in the 12th, female-rotation spot ("Generic Hitter"). Each time the Generic Hitter came up, I'd offensive-substitute the correct female into that spot. The app is smart enough to swap spots, so you just have to touch the batter, touch the correct female player's name and you can proceed. Repeat each time the "GH" comes up.

The pros and cons:
+ Stats are perfectly clean
+ Scorecard looks better than with a bunch of SKIPs
+ MANY MANY less 'clicks' than the SKIP method
- Name column on the score card is cluttered because of the substitutions

PS: The ability to map spots on the order to "TBD" and force a player pick (from the non-batters) each time would probably help ahndle this more gracefully.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm

To respond to the question about Offensive Subs --- this is a purposeful design decision we made to simplify the many youth leagues where all players bat. Offensive substitutions are not done in those cases and hiding them for users that play with "all players bat" far outweighs the support issues with the alternative.

What you are doing is a very very special case. We are glad you found a way to score this unique situation that works for you. We do still have this alternating lineup request on our list for future consideration.