Data Sharing

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
rgossard

Data Sharing

Post by rgossard » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:36 am

I recently upgraded from iPhone to iPad for scoring my son's games. I tried out the data sharing feature via the web by transferring a couple of games and teams I inputted during the spring season. My question is - if I delete those teams/games from the iPad will the stats for those games/teams be lost on both the iPhone and team website also? The scoring I did on the iPhone was for my son's Spring travel team. He is playing Rec Ball this fall, so I would like the iPad to just contain Rec Ball games and teams for now since I won't be doing a team website for the Fall. I will be doing the website in the Spring and would like to transfer all those teams (but not the games since we lost a majority of the players) associated with the iPhone at that time and have the website associated with the iPad. I don't want to lose the data for now since I would like the team website to stand for now and be accurate.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Data Sharing

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:49 am

If you delete games from a device that has a team website associated with it, then yes, those games would be removed from the team website as well. If you are transferring them to a different device, we can point the team website to the new device instead if you would like. Just send an email to support@iscoresports.com with the URL of the team website, and the Customer ID (found on the Options screen) of the device you would like the team website changed to.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
rgossard

Post by rgossard » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:14 am

The iPad I transferred the data to is not associated to the website. So if I delete the games/teams from the iPad, it won't affect the website?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 am

That is correct.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 am

TeamWebSite subscriptions are paird 1:1 with a single device (iphon, iPad, android etc) (based on the hardware specific device id) and a single team (based a unique underlying team ID). So The iPhone travel2011 team is paired to the travel2011 team website. the iPad is not, even if all the travel2011 data is shared to your iPad, (so you have history of your kid'se) of it is not paired to the team website. Only the original device you purchase a web site from can update the team web site (unless FTM manually changes the master pairing for you).

For this fall, if you want, you can create a fall ball team on your iPad and purchase a new team web site associated with that team (fallball2011) and device (iPad).. Then exporting from iPad will update fall 2011 team site.

Next spring, you will likely want to create a new travel2012team in game manager ( add new and any returning players to that roster for history).. plus purchase a new travelteam2012 web site subscription (let travel2011 subscription lapse). U

Which device you make the master of travel2012 is your choice, (ipad or iphone) but you must pick one and only one. Whichever one you choose, you should put your travel2011 data on it also, so if you come across same team or players again, you have their history
rgossard

Post by rgossard » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks Tex. So you suggest letting the old team website lapse and pair a new one to the iPad vice renewing the old and having FTM associate the old website to the iPad? I hate to recreate all that HTML but I guess I could copy and paste it to a new web site.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:35 am

Yes, my recommendation is to create a new team each year on your device (and a new team website)
(Team2010, Team2011,Team2012).

there have been discussions on this board around this question.. is it best to reuse a team (and team web site) year to year by editing roster and using leagues to differentiate the years, or to create a new team and make a new team website each year. For me, I have tried both and prefer to make new team each year. - and that has become my recommendation. For me i found it overall easier and simpler (and i am a fairly familiar user of iscore). out of pocket costs, net the same $20/year. One of the biggest benefits of this way is the device, maintains record of who was on the team last year and how last years team did, and league management a bit less complicated. when i tried reusing a team, even with a core 80% returning, I found i missed having last years team data as a standalone thing on my device. and managing the roster and leagues got more complicated, plus I started to forget over time, who was on which team in 09? vs 2010 vs now . This is particular true in school ball where team name is the same year to year but roster turns over by year

(note players lifetime stats, hit charts, on player card can handle multiple teams, so no impact either way, if you have returning players, you can cumulate their stats year to year and use leagues to view over time. ).

For me I play different teams in spring (School ball) summer (Travel/Club) and fall (fun ball) so I have three web sites that each lapse annually and get renewed each 'year'. SchoolTeam2010, SummerTeam2010, FallTeam2010, the website URL gets the year in the name, (iscorebaseball.com/SchoolTeam2011,) but on the device i usually don't add the year until after the season.

As to making the new web site, If you are using the FTM site, is not hard, (5-10 min). to make them look the same ..

Home page
open the old and new web sites side by side and log in as admin on both.
Go to edit home page on the old, click on HTML button, select all and COPY. then
go to edit home page of the new, click on HTML button, select all and PASTE. update and then save. Works like a charm

Settings
Next you have to update the settings page, .. Again open both and just mimic on new what you did for old.
I also create a new season password for guests. i like this feature, being season specific

Calendar
I also use google calendar so I create a new google calendar for the season, and embed it in the FTM site

Sponsors
I have a few sponsors, so i do have to manually re do the sponsor page,

Photos
I do not use photos much, but if i did, i think i would like the new site being new without old team photos anyway.