How is RPA calculated?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Dweeb Dad

How is RPA calculated?

Post by Dweeb Dad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 pm

If a batter has 1 PA, 1 AB and hits a HR during that AB, what should the RPA be?

In this case, the displayed RPA is 2? Is this correct?
bsweetser

Re: How is RPA calculated?

Post by bsweetser » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:43 pm

This was covered in another post (http://iscore.freeforums.org/runs-per-at-bat-t356.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false)

It is (runs + RBIs)/Plate appearances

ben
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Your very basic scenario got me to thinking about this more. It doesn't seem like a hitter's run production average with a single at bat and a solo home run should provide a run production average of 2. As you probably expected, it should be 1.

I did a little hunting around trying to find some more information on this, but it is pretty scant. I did find an article in the NY Times, though, that states RPA is calculated as:

(runs + rbi - hr )/plate appearances

This prevents home runs from being counted twice as part of this statistic, as you are seeing happen in your scenario.

This looks like a job for "the Monkey Boys" (tm) :)

ben
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:03 pm

That appears to be correct... we need to subtract out home runs and are not currently doing that. We will fix it for version 1.70.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs