How to Track Wild Pitches and Catchers Missing Pitches

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
fbltad

How to Track Wild Pitches and Catchers Missing Pitches

Post by fbltad » Tue May 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi All -

I'm a relative newbie with iScore (on an iPhone); I've searched the forum for this Q&A and can't find anything to help me.

I'm really good at advancing 1 or more runners on wild pitches - I've got that down pat. What I can't figure out is how to record a wild Ball or Strike that gets past the catcher to the backstop but none of the runners advance on the wildness of the pitch/missed catch. Basically, we want to be able to track our pitchers (can they hit the catcher's glove) and the catchers (can they catch those pitches that should be catchable).

Right now, our pitching stats only know the number of wild pitches if a runner advanced on it. What our stats are not including are all the other pitches that went past the catcher (for whatever reason).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FBLTAD
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: How to Track Wild Pitches and Catchers Missing Pitches

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Officially a pitched ball is not a wild pitch or passed ball unless a runner advances.

See rule 10.13 here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/of ... rer_10.jsp
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Re: How to Track Wild Pitches and Catchers Missing Pitches

Post by OhioTex » Wed May 11, 2011 4:23 am

@ fbltad

FTM and iSocre appropriately treat WP and PB as technically defined . - runner must advance.

tracking the type of info you want for catcher and pitcher evaluation/development has merits, but would need to be done outside iScore. I suggest a manual tally sheet is the simplest method ( sometimes pencil and paper is just the solve). I also suggest a second person for the task, a second opinion on WP PB may be helpful, and not overload an already busy scorekeeper.