How do I track pitch location?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

How do I track pitch location?

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 pm

The release of iScore that just became available in the App Store allows tracking of pitch location (as seen in screenshots in the App Store).

To use this functionality, when you are on the main scoring screen, slide your finger across the screen from right to left, and the pitch chart will appear.

After each pitch is scored in iScore (ball / strike / in play / out / whatever), you can go to this chart to mark its location.

This is completely optional, but the data will become more valuable in our next release. For now, the data will be stored in the database. With the next release, you will be able to view pitch charts for pitchers showing how many pitches they threw in each of the different "regions" of the pitch chart.

We will be creating a new video demonstrating all the great new features of iScore Baseball as soon as the release we are currently working on is submitted to the app store.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Rhinorobbo

Re: How do I track pitch location?

Post by Rhinorobbo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Just read the comments on pitch location and how it works ...... great idea but I am a little confused.

Do you enter the location of the pitch thrown before or after the call of ball, strike, foul?

If you [try to] enter it after a call is made when the batter is either out or in play you don't get the chance to enter the pitching zone or location the ball.

I think you need to enter the location before the call is made ... please confirm.

This is a fantastic product and I have been waiting for something like this to turn up the iphone. A great feature is the ability to send an email of the stats mid game .... sooooo easyyyyyyyyy.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 pm

The way it stand right now, you enter pitch locations after the pitch. For balls and strikes, it is very easy as you can do all your scoring right on the pitch chart.

In the case of a hit ball, you can go back to the pitch chart after you score the play, and select the location of the pitch. Selecting the pitch location is always selecting the location of the previous pitch (even on inning changes, etc...).

We experimented with entering the pitch location before you mark a ball/strike/hit ball/etc, but it meant you could not score the play until you entered the pitch location, which meant it would slow down the data entry process for the real action of the play. We really view pitch location as an "optional" scoring item, and did not want it to impact the real flow of keeping score.

We are always open to suggestions on ways to make improvements, so if anyone has a better approach, please let us know.

It is always nice to hear from happy customers... thank you.
Rhinorobbo

Post by Rhinorobbo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I can see where you are coming from and can appreciate the need for speed in marking the action (ball/ strike etc) first if you are using the pitch locator approach you then need to decide what sort of pitch was it, if I can input the speed and where did it hit the zone ...... it is just a routine or mindset that you need to get your head into when using the pitch locator approach.

I have a relatively large fingers and struggle a bit with the approach used by the app for the pitch selector and speed processes. Are there soem other options that could be used? ie point and touch like the action (ball/strike etc)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:52 am

We are actually working on a new design for pitch speed and type. For pitch speed, I think what we are going to do is go with a "range" down the left side... pitchers have different ranges... you can adjust the range depending on the pitcher, and then it will just be one-touch within that range.

We are planning something similar with pitch type as well... just putting them down the right hand side.

Thank you again for the feedback.
Rhinorobbo

Post by Rhinorobbo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 am

Great idea ... .suspect that would help my finger problems as well.