Is there a glossary of terms anywhere?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
raideroh

Is there a glossary of terms anywhere?

Post by raideroh » Wed May 20, 2009 3:12 am

In the app or in document form is there a glossary that defines specifically what each of my choices means. For instance, I was clicking fielders choice for both the runner that was forced at first base and for the batter. It was all I could think of in the heat of the game, but it would have helped if I had a glossary online or something I could have printed that would point out that FC should only be used for a batter.

Worse case a document on the website would be nice, best case I could click at hotspot on the corner of one of the choice buttons and it would pop up the definition.

Thanks,

Love the app,
gadgetfreak

Re: Is there a glossary of terms anywhere?

Post by gadgetfreak » Wed May 20, 2009 5:23 am

I second that. I am just learning how to score. I was hoping this app would also teach me a few things.
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 am

This brings up an interesting point. As Fielder's Choice is really only something that affects the batter, it probably should not even be an option when marking a runner as out. During the play, the runner who gets out is going to be out by Force Out, Tagged Out, or some other way of getting out, but the only one the "Fielder's Choice" technically applies to is the batter, as far as I know. This applies to a situation where the batter would not have made it to base if the fielders chose to make the play differently. They instead chose to get the out at a different base (this often happens in failed attempts to turn a double play).

ben
raideroh

Post by raideroh » Wed May 20, 2009 9:16 am

I think it would help teach people the correct way to score - I'd been doing it for years but had devised my own little cheats that made my book somewhat non-standard, but also just to get used to the iScore lingo.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed May 20, 2009 9:56 am

We will work on a document describing each scoring option. The options come straight from standard scoring, but I understand we are opening up scorekeeping to a whole new set of users that have not kept score in the traditional way, so more details will be helpful.

@bsweetser - Yes, leaving Fielder's Choice as an option for runners was wrong - it is only for batters, and has now caused an issue in the 1.60 release for people that used it incorrectly. The fact that we allowed it didn't help the matter. We just posted an interim 1.65 release yesterday... I will be posting details of that release shortly, but it addresses the issue with Fielder's Choice on a runner so scorecards don't crash, and also removes it as an option for scoring going forward.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs