2 more Little League questions

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
gadgetfreak

2 more Little League questions

Post by gadgetfreak » Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 am

Just reviewed the two youtube videos and have two questions:

1) A player hits a ball in the air and it lands in the outfield. The player runs and makes it to second. I see my choices are to: a) record it as a single, then indicate where the ball fell, then indicate that he made it to second. b) I can indicate he got a double and then where the ball fell. Here is the problem, from a strict timeline perspective, I see where it goes before I see how far the runner gets. What is the difference between these two methods?

2) For our little league, there are no balls but rather a 10 pitch limit per batter. The rules are further complicated in that if there is a foul in the 8-10 pitch, it doesn't count towards the 10 pitch limit. Any ideas on how to track that?

Thanks.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: 2 more Little League questions

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 19, 2009 11:57 am

The difference between the two ways of scoring would be in the statistics. If it is marked as a single, then advanced to second, it will only appear as a single in statistics. If you want statistics to reflect that it was a double, it has to be entered that way.

We don't currently account for any "pitching structures" other than 4 balls=walk, 3 strikes=out, and any number of foul balls may be hit with 2 strikes on the batter.

You can always just use the strike out option or walk option without tracking pitch by pitch if you would like. Or, if you would like, you could mark pitches after 4 balls and 3 strikes as fouls just so you can get complete pitch counts if that is what you are looking for.

In a future release, we may support different pitching structures, but it is not a high priority item at the current time.

Thank you.

We have had requests
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
gadgetfreak

Post by gadgetfreak » Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Great. Thanks for your reply. So, if "b) I can indicate he got a double and then where the ball fell." is the more correct option for stats, don't you feel that the input is not in the same order as the events? Or am I misunderstanding?
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Tue May 19, 2009 12:32 pm

I usually follow where the ball goes and look at where the runner ends up during the play and enter it together. I like to watch the play unfold, and then enter the information between plays. My personal feeling is that it is not difficult to enter this information together, with the type of hit before denoting where the ball landed during the play. It is similar to how I entered the information when scoring on paper. This isn't to say that there aren't ways to streamline the process, but I'm not sure this is an area I would focus much attention.

I'd be curious about others' thoughts on the subject, though.

ben
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes, it is not in the same order that the events actually take place, but it is more efficient for scorekeeping.

You would generally watch a play take place and then score it. So letting the user enter the plays with the least number of clicks is actually more critical in our opinion to reduce the amount of time spent scoring.

If you were trying to enter the play as it took place, you could miss some of the action (player bobbles a ball for example).

Our assumption is that you would watch the entire play, then enter it into the system. If you looked down to enter where the ball was hit when it was hit, you may miss an error or some other happening during the play, and not be able to score it correctly.

We are also trying to keep some consistency in the entry. As mentioned before, we don't know if a hit location is required until we know what happened. It would be wrong to have to enter a hit location (or press cancel or some such) on a play like a walk, strikeout, hit by pitch, etc.

Thank you.
gadgetfreak

Post by gadgetfreak » Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Makes total sense. I am currently in the middle of a "fake" game to learn the system before my son's game tomorrow night. It is really exciting but where is the hot dog vendor :)?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Hot Dog vendor added as a request for future release. ;)