stats xls

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
jdub

Re: stats xls

Post by jdub » Mon May 25, 2009 3:30 pm

I have Excel for Mac (version 11.3.6) and I could not open the stats (all gobbley gook) According to earlier posts, I should be able to open it with the program I have.
Any thoughts?

thanks!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 25, 2009 3:54 pm

The "Open XML File Format Converter for Mac" referenced above, and repeated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads. ... 0A7#viewer

Should allow you to open the Excel attachments on the Mac for anyone that is having trouble.

The Excel attachments open completely unchanged on Windows Excel 2003 or newer, and jdonato confirmed it works on Excel 2008 for Mac unchanged.

The Windows versions of Excel have tools that can be installed in older versions to read the Open XML format without an external converter. I am not sure if the Mac version of Excel has the same for older versions. We only have the most recent version of Excel on the Mac.

If anyone knows, please let this forum know.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
igitur

Post by igitur » Mon May 25, 2009 6:52 pm

I guess I didn't ask my manager if he had installed the tools you mentioned here,

"The Windows versions of Excel have tools that can be installed in older versions to read the Open XML format without an external converter. I am not sure if the Mac version of Excel has the same for older versions. We only have the most recent version of Excel on the Mac."

I DO know the converter is only for excel 2004 and later, not for Excel X, which I use. Unless someone comes up with something else, I'll have to have him take the file I send him and convert it in Windows and then send it back to me. How silly is that?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 25, 2009 7:01 pm

The converter actually says it will work with Office v. X for Mac which is the version I believe you said you were using (Excel 2001 is Office v. X for Mac). Quoting right from that web page:
so that you can open and edit the files in Office 2004 for Mac and Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Mon May 25, 2009 7:16 pm

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Office 2001 was the last version of Office for System 9 and shortly after that came Office v. X for System 10.0 and after.

I believe I have v. X at my office (lab). When I get there tomorrow, I will try installing the converter and post results. Hopefully it will work. I haven't found any other way around, except opening the file in Excel 2008.
Phantom Sage

Post by Phantom Sage » Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 pm

There may be an easy way out by offering a CSV option for those that don't have current versions.

It may not be as pretty, and require extra work - but the data is then available. They can chosse or choose not to do their own moving around to tabs, etc.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Yeah... we may have to add CSV in a future version. The reason we opted for the Open XML Excel format is it allowed us to format the data. A CSV import would come in completely unformatted which would mean column widths would be wrong, batting average would show as "0.4" instead of ".400" for example... several small things like that.

We were trying to avoid people complaining about the formatting, but we can make CSV an additional option.
igitur

Post by igitur » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 am

I was able to install XML converter. I was under impression that it would be integrated into Excel. Wrong. It's just an app that gets installed on my HD. However, as a standalone application it still does not like the stats file. Even after a reboot. When dragging file to the 'Drag File Here' window, I am notified that my stats.xls file is unrecognized! Maybe my version of Office is flaky (assuming the converter uses its existence as confirmation to work.) Has anyone else gotten this thing to work on OfficeX?
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Tue May 26, 2009 7:26 am

I can confirm that, at least on Office v. X, with or without the converter, the stats.xls file won't open correctly. :(

Haven't tried in Office 2004, though.
jdub

Post by jdub » Tue May 26, 2009 8:54 am

I am having the same problem igutar is having. I can not drag the file into the XML Converter program. It will not accept it.

And when I try to open the stats in my Mac 2004 version, it says the stats are not an XML file. (it does have .xls at the end of the file)

Any thoughts?