stats xls

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
igitur

stats xls

Post by igitur » Mon May 18, 2009 10:20 am

Forgive my ignorance, but the excel stats file that I emailed myself appears useless. Do I have to have a preset file to import it to, or what? Attached is file, I think. Thanks for any help.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: stats xls

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 am

I don't see an attachment, but if you email it to us, we can take a look. You can email it to us at support@fasterthanmonkeys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false.

The format we use for creating the Excel spreadsheet is an XML format that Excel supports. Just out of curiosity, what version of Excel are you using? It is possible some of the older versions do not support the XML format. We tested back as far as MS Excel 2003. We do not have versions older than that to test with, but if you can tell us what version you have, that will help.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Mon May 18, 2009 11:04 am

I can confirm that I can open the attachment in Excel 2008 Mac.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 18, 2009 11:23 am

It turns out igitur was using Excel 10.0 (Office v. X) which was released in 2001 for the Mac. We use an XML Excel format which was the first documented way for third parties to create Excel spreadsheets. This was not supported until Excel 11.0 on the Mac which was released in 2004.

If anyone has ideas for back-converting this format to something compatible with Excel prior to 2004, please let us know. We are looking to see if maybe there are some freeware or shareware utilities to do this for any customers that have Excel prior to 2004 for Mac, or 2003 for Windows.

Thank you.
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Mon May 18, 2009 11:26 am

I was doing some tests, and, as is, the file doesn't work with Numbers 09, OpenOffice or NeoOffice. I am trying to find a way to make them work, but I don't know if I will be succesful. I'll keep you posted.
igitur

Post by igitur » Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm really a non geek on this. Support said they didn't find an attachment to original post, but, for the life of me I couldn't get it to attach to post. I chose file to upload, wrote a short comment, hit submit in the attachment window and, poof, file was gone and not attached. Any ideas on that? Thanks. Believe me, I can run the app, but don't get me started on BB posting!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 pm

I believe to attach a file, you click the "Browse..." button next to the Filename field, then have to click the "Add the file" button to actually attach it. If you just submit without doing the "Add the file", I don't believe it attaches the file to the post.

(This forum software is just something we are using, not something we wrote, so we won't know the answers to all forum-specific questions, but I believe this is how it works.)
igitur

Post by igitur » Mon May 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Just tried it. Didn't work. No big whoop. You have the file I was trying to upload. But it would be fascinating to know how to do it.
igitur

Post by igitur » Mon May 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi,

I viewed the previously nonviewable xls scoresheet at our managers house and had him try something, since my version of excel was, apparently, too old. He sent me 5 versions of the excel file and three of them opened correctly in my excel (Excel X service version 1). Versions saved as a workbook, version 4.0 and version 5.0 and emailed to me opened fine. Version 3.0 and Windows 97 did not.
Considering this, is it possible for the new excel spreads sent out in the email to us be in any of those versions? I just don't have the scratch to buy a new version of Office when I do most of my work outside of it.
Thanks.

jim
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

As noted above, the "XML" format of a spreadsheet is the only one Microsoft has documented in a way that we can use it. Actual workbook format is proprietary, and we do not have documentation on how to write data out in that format.

We did a little more research, and did find this utility available from Microsoft's site for converting the Open XML format to earlier versions of Excel:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads. ... 0A7#viewer

Let us know if this works for you.