Program closes when trying to open score card in game manage

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Gregg

Program closes when trying to open score card in game manage

Post by Gregg » Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 am

I have been using iScore since it came out and appreciate all the updates to make this the best app of its kind. After updating yesterday I have been playing around with game manager and noticed the program closes when I try to look at the score card from an old game or when I try to email the card and stats. Is there a problem with the old data and game manager?
barkmo

Re: Program closes when trying to open score card in game manage

Post by barkmo » Mon May 18, 2009 7:00 am

Having this same problem. I cannot see or email scorebooks from previous games.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 18, 2009 8:53 am

Old data should work fine with the latest release - we tested it quite thoroughly. Maybe you have something we have not encountered before.

If both of you could please export your databases to our servers so we can take a look at your data, that would be great. Go to the Options menu, click Export. After getting a Success message, email us at support@fasterthanmonkeys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false with your customer ID (bottom left of options screen).

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 18, 2009 10:54 am

@Gregg

We have reviewed your data, and it looks like you were marking Runners as "out by fielders choice". Runners should actually be marked as Forced Out or Tagged Out. A Batter can be safe at first by Fielder's Choice when a runner at another base is Forced or Tagged out at another base.

We are making it so in version 1.7 this will not cause a problem. The reason it caused a problem in 1.6 is because we made the scorecard show more information on some plays (fielder's choice for example), but it does not work correctly if a runner is marked as "Fielder's Choice" --- this is really intended just for batters.

If anyone else runs into this issue, if you can export your database and send us an email, we can fix your database for past games and send it back to you if you need the scorecard now for those past games. If you can wait for version 1.70, all the data is correct in stats so should not really cause an issue other than viewing of scorecards for plays that were recorded this way.

Sorry for the trouble.
EricR

Post by EricR » Mon May 18, 2009 11:17 am

I have the same problem, but only for one of the two games I have scored - just started this weekend. First game i can get to the score card, 2nd game it causes the app to close.

It might be a nice feature to have the app restrict the ways a runner can advance or be put out based on the situation. Gray-out the options that are not applicable (eg fielder's choice) so users don't mark the play incorrectly - and make it easier/faster to score the play. Not trivial.

Also, technically (by baseball rule), a runner who is "forced out" is one who must go to the next base. So, technically, if that runner is tagged or if the base is tagged by the fielder, it is still considered a force out.

Example: Two outs, bases loaded... Ground ball to third baseman. He tags the runner going from 2nd to 3rd. Force out, runner from 3rd does not score even if the tag occurs after the runner has crossed the plate. Still a force out either way.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 18, 2009 11:35 am

I mention the Tag Out because you can have a runner on 2nd (nobody on 1st), and a batter hits a grounder to short stop, the runner on 2nd is tagged out trying to make it to 3rd. This would be a Fielder's Choice on the batter making it to first, but a Tag Out on the runner trying to advance from 2nd to 3rd.

If you would like your data fixed for the game that is not opening, you can export it to us, and we can repair your database. If you can wait for v1.70, the issue goes away.

We have tried to not allow invalid scoring situations to be entered, but as everyone is aware, scoring baseball can be quite complex, and people do have different interpretations of how a play should be scored. We do regret that a situation we allow to be entered is now causing the application to crash (regardless of whether it is technically a correct way to score a play or not), and have addressed that in v1.70.

Thank you.
barkmo

Post by barkmo » Tue May 19, 2009 8:14 am

After looking at several games I am able to send game stats and scorecard on most games. I may be doing the same thing you addressed earlier. I have exported my data and sent you an email.
Thanks for your help.