How to score this?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
RoundingThird

How to score this?

Post by RoundingThird » Mon May 11, 2009 10:04 am

We had a kid hit a single with runners on second and third. The play was at home and the catcher chased the boy back to third. Of course the boy running back to third couldn't legally occupy third as the boy from second was already there. I'm not sure how this finishes out as both boy's were called out when they both occupied third as the catcher applied the tags.
bsweetser

Re: How to score this?

Post by bsweetser » Mon May 11, 2009 10:14 am

Was it really a single, or a Fielder's Choice? Was the boy running from second to third tagged to get out or was there some rule in the league that caused him to be out? The way you describe it sounds like this to me:

In Play > Fielder's Choice, then select the players who handled the ball during the play (someone and the catcher, it seems)
Runner on third to home, but Out > Tagged Out
Runner on second to third, Out > Double Play or Tagged Out
Batter to first > Held Up (unless, of course, he advanced on the throws)

ben
RoundingThird

Post by RoundingThird » Mon May 11, 2009 10:57 am

I assume it is a single as the runner didn't have to run home but coaches sent him and the runner was safely at first before tag outs. I'm very confused on this and think the umpire goofed or something.

The idea was they would go for the automatic out a first and we'd score. But the shortstop threw it home instead. The runner from second physcially touched third a few steps before the runner coming back did. When the runner coming back touched third the catcher tagged him at that moment. Is the runner from second out at all? I thought the runner coming back would be the one out on a double-occupied base and the tag would be irrelivant. Is this not the case?
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Mon May 11, 2009 11:56 am

I know what I think about the play, but wanted to look up something a bit more official: According to the baseball rules listed at baseball-almanac.com (I used this as it is more generic than MLB - league rules may vary, though), if both players were on the bag, only one of them should be out:

7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out. He is then entitled to it until he is put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner legally entitled to that base. If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.

7.03 Two runners may not occupy a base, but if, while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base, the following runner shall be out when tagged. The preceding runner is entitled to the base.

Whether by "following" and "preceding" they mean the order in which the players touch the bag or who is first in the order could be open to interpretation. My opinion (based on what I know of the situation) is that the umpire did goof if he called both boys out, unless they both were tagged with the ball while not touching the bag.

ben
RoundingThird

Post by RoundingThird » Wed May 20, 2009 5:16 am

Thanks, for info I agree that the ump did make a goof, live and learn I suppose.
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Wed May 20, 2009 5:53 pm

bsweetser wrote:7.03 Two runners may not occupy a base, but if, while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base, the following runner shall be out when tagged. The preceding runner is entitled to the base.ben
Umpire absolutely goofed. Here is the way I believe this should work.

Batter = Safe @ 1st, FC.
Runner from 2nd to 3rd = Out @ 2nd, Tagged out ('whatever position' to 2). He could never legally acquire 3rd base as the other runner had already been there and had the, "right to the base."
Runner returning to 3rd = Safe, Held up.

Doc