Fastpitch softball - challenged pitcher

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
don.english

Fastpitch softball - challenged pitcher

Post by don.english » Wed May 19, 2010 8:53 am

Had a runner on 2b last night and when she went back to the base she stopped one foot shy of the bag. This resulted in her being called out for challenging the pitcher. How would you score this? I used Out, More, Hesitation but it put this in the scorebook with a notation of LBP2. ????
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Fastpitch softball - challenged pitcher

Post by FTMSupport » Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 am

Hesitation is the correct way to score it, and we have the scorecard incorrectly showing Left Base Path (LPB) in that case. We are fixing that for the next release, but yes, hesitation is correct.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
don.english

Post by don.english » Wed May 19, 2010 9:45 am

Hey I did it right! lol

Thanks for the information,
Don
dtkreutz

Post by dtkreutz » Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 am

Sorry for the stupidity, but I've looked all over google and wikipedia, and can't find the definition of "Hesitation". Could you explain that rule/call?
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 pm

It is actually called the "look-back" rule.

USSSA Fastpitch rules: Rule 8 - Sec 2

The LOOK-BACK RULE is in effect when the ball is live, the batter-runner has touched
first base or has been declared out, and the pitcher has possession of the ball (e.g. has
the ball in his hand, glove, under arm or chin, between his legs) within the 16-foot circle.
Any runner(s) in motion may continue without stopping or may stop once, but then must
immediately move directly back to the last base touched or attempt to advance to the
next base.
Once the runner stops at a base for any reason, he may not move off that base.
A batter-runner who overruns first and does not without delay attempt to advance to
second is committed to return to first and stop.
The runner, off base, may not stand motionless.
There does not need to be any motion or recognition by the pitcher.
Failure of the runner to respond as indicated shall cause the Umpire to signal the runner
out.
The ball shall be declared dead.

If the pitcher no longer has possession of the ball within the 16-foot circle, the pitcher
makes an attempt on any of the runners or a fake throw is made, this rule does not apply.
Being in the 16-foot circle is defined as both feet within or partially within the line. The
feet may touch the line and extend outside the line. When the pitcher is in the pitcher’s
circle and a runner(s) is off the base, the pitcher is considered to be playing on the
runner(s) when the throwing arm is raised or any forward movement of the body is made
toward the runner. Movement of the head is not considered an attempt play.
Effect: Ball is dead and runner is out.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

The Look Back rule and the Hesitation rule are the same thing, and it just depends on the rules you are looking at. You can do a search on "hesitation rule softball" and you will find many references on Google as well.

Thanks for posting the USSSA version CSThunderCoach.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
CSThunderCoach

Post by CSThunderCoach » Wed May 19, 2010 1:24 pm

NCAA Fastpitch Rule 12.21 - Look-Back Rule (too much to post here - says basically the same thing as USSSA - NCAA just had more lawyers help with the definitions :))

Here is the link:
https://www.ncaapublications.com//produ ... f#page=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fwiw...All of the major fastpich rule books are on-line at: http://www.fastpitchrulebooks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ASA is the only organization that still makes you pay to see a copy of their rule book.
dtkreutz

Post by dtkreutz » Wed May 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for the info, and I swear I googled it! Except I didn't know it was softball only, so my results were all about how umpires shouldn't hesitate while making calls..

Thanks for the good rules websites. I probably need a "rules for dummies" book though. Often, reading the specific rules like you've cited above, I'm still left unsure of the INTENT of the rule. I guess I understand the situations and outcomes of the Hesitation Rule, but having a teacher's mind, I'm still unsure of the reason for the rule itself. I'm always better with "In order to keep a runner from advancing while the pitcher is tying his shoes, rule #2 states that......."
That's why you guys are such a great resource... I can't say it enough - thanks for the great forum, and wonderful program!!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 am

CSThunderCoach wrote: fwiw...All of the major fastpich rule books are on-line at: http://www.fastpitchrulebooks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ASA is the only organization that still makes you pay to see a copy of their rule book.

Nice link coach.....
fyi - NFHS Fast-Pitch Softball Rules are also "pay to view" and not online, like ASA.
FDT92

Post by FDT92 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 am

There is a 2005 ASA pdf rulebook online.

http://www.azsoftball.org/misc/2006/Mis ... lebook.pdf