TIP: How to Best Use "LEAGUES" and League Manager - FAQ

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
OhioTex

Re: "League" usage?

Post by OhioTex » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 am

Removing them from a team roster ( in team manager) is A OK. I could have been more clear, do not delete from Player Manager was my intent.
oconnor.jb wrote:
OhioTex wrote: but do not delete players, if you want to hide them, assign them to a 'other players league' (empahsis, best to not delete players or teams or games, better to hide them in leagues)
Before I learned that you could put players in the lineup for an individual game without having to put them on the team roster first, I added several players to a team's roster that were playing in scrimmage games as part of their tryout process. Some of them are not staying with the team, so I don't want to have them appearing in the roster every time I start a new game.

I tried to hide them as suggested by assigning the players to an 'other players' league, and they don't appear under Player Manager when the real league is selected. However, if I go to Team Manager, pick the team, press Roster, they still show on the roster. If I go to Game Manager and set up a new game, select an appropriate league, and press Play, the players I don't want to see still show in the roster.

Would it be OK to go to the Team Manager roster page and use the "Remove From Roster" function? (I guess I'm being overly cautious and lumping that action into the "do not delete" warning above). If I do remove the player from the roster, would it still be possible to set the Leagues in such a way that I could still see those players' stats at some point in the future?
HolyRomanEmperor

Post by HolyRomanEmperor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 am

I hope this si the right thread for my question.

Let me explain what I am attempting to do with the app, and hopefully someone can let me know what I need to do to make it happen. I've been messing around with it for a few days now, and am just frustrating myself. I'm sure I'm probably just overlooking the obvious, but I think I'm just too close to the problem no to see it.

My friends and I play a baseball simulation game with cards and dice. We use the iScore app because it eliminates the need for us to print scoresheets, and because we get the stats automatically tallied. It works great for that.

We have two devices - my iPad, and his Android.

We managed to synch them up for this past season (call it "2003"), and are ready to move on to our next season for our league (call it "2004"). What I would like to do is erase all of the games and rosters from "2003", and import all the rosters for "2004" from a flat file. I understand that I can go to the admin website and enter the players into the teams in a flat file format (name, position, etc). I have done that, but when I then import into my iPad, I see all the teams show up (in the "Team Manager" screen) with the right players on their roster, but if I go to the general "Player Manager" screen, I see no players listed. I also still see all of the games played in our "2003" league.

What I really want to do is basically zero out everything from "2003" and get rid of it completely, and just have the "2004" teams and rosters be on there.

How do I do that?

Also, during the season, if a trade is made, what is the proper process to keep both devices synchronized? Do I have to manually adjust the rosters on each device, or will it auto correct when I do an export from one device and then do a "get data from web database" on the other device?

Thanks.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Leagues can be used to show only information assigned to that league. You can assign Players, Teams, and Games to leagues. Each relationship is maintained independently.

We would suggest leaving the 2003 season on the device and just using leagues to hide the data since you spent the time to record it, but if you truly want to delete it, you can go to League Manager, select the ALL league so all data shows, then go through and delete each old player / team / game if you would like.

To synchronize two devices with roster changes, yes, it would typically requiring updating each device. If you are comfortable with how things work, you can also delete the team from the device that does not have the update, then use data sharing to transfer that team again (sometimes this may be faster than making the change in both places... just depends on what the change is).
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
HolyRomanEmperor

Post by HolyRomanEmperor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:02 am

Well, here's the problem - to delete the games, I have to literally click on each game one at a time, wait for it to load, then press deleted (and type in "YES" to confirm). I have an entire season worth of games, so that would take me quite a while to do it that way.

If the games aren't deleted though, then anytime I do an export so that my friend can imort the data onto his Androind device, ALL of those games show up on his list!

Granted, he can choose individually which ones to import or not to his device, but it will be a real pain to have t ocontinually wade through all those games to find the handful that he actually wants to import.

I am also still a bit unclear why (on my device) I can see the roster for each team, and it looks complete, but when I go to the Player Manager section of the app it appears to be empty.

Thanks.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 am

What you are describing is the trade off between keeping the games on the device and removing them. We will not be adding a "mass delete" function --- we already have enough trouble with uses "accidentally" deleting a single game and asking for us to recover it (even though it requires all the steps you describe to delete a game --- we intentionally make it hard so there are no "accidents" and yet it continues to occur). Could not imagine if we made a mass delete option what kind of accidents would occur.

If you truly want all the game gone, another option would be to do an Export from your device, re-install iScore (and thus start with nothing on your device), and you could then data share back from your friend just the data you want (or you could even use web based data sharing with your own account information immediately after the export to just get the data you want --- that data will be available until your next export).

The reason for seeing the roster for teams but not the players in player manager is that you have the TEAM assigned to the correct league, but not the PLAYERS. If you go to League Manager and put a check next to the All league, then go to player manager and select one of the players you are not seeing, and select Leagues, you will see they are not assigned to the league that is filtering them out.
Stadtusquo

Post by Stadtusquo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:56 pm

OK, I have tried to set up Leagues to show statistics for Tournaments and a specific Season, this summer/fall. When I Created the Leagues and put the games in I was hoping to be able to see Team Stats for the selected Leagues. It didn't work. Do I need to "un check" ALL and Default (in League Manager) to only calculate the Stats?? Is there a tutorial on this? I am so confused by reading all of the questions and responses in this thread.
Any help?

This is what I want to do:
I want to use the Stats from the games that our Team played in this summer and our Fall League, which starts this week.

Stadtusquo
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Create a league called "Summer" and a league called "Fall". Make sure the "All" league is checked, then go to each game in Game Manager, and make sure they have either Summer or Fall selected.

When you want to report on just "Summer", go to League Manager, put a check next to Summer, and uncheck all other leagues. Then go to Team Manager, select your team, and select Stats. It will show stats for only games in the Summer league.

When you want ot report on just Fall, do the same thing, but select only the Fall league.
Jeff Widmer

Post by Jeff Widmer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:51 am

FTMSupport wrote:Create a League for each tournament, then go to Game Manager, and select each game, and scroll down to the Leagues setting on teh Game Info screen. You can change the League(s) a game is assigned to from there. You will have to do this for each game.
Further to your point I have a question.

I have 40 some games from the 1st half our season entered already. I already entered 7 games for the second half of the season and realize I should have created a league but already past that at this point. Is there an easy way to split out the first half of the season and second half after data has already been entered?
Jeff Widmer

Post by Jeff Widmer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:55 am

I created a new league and assigned the games to the league. The question is if I select Team Manager there are no teams listed and no cumulative team stats.
Jeff Widmer

Post by Jeff Widmer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 am

I want just the cumulative team stats for just the second fall season and not the first summer season. I select Team Manager and highlight fall season but when I select stats it shows me summer and fall.