TIP: How to Best Use "LEAGUES" and League Manager - FAQ

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
randkos3

TIP: How to Best Use "LEAGUES" and League Manager - FAQ

Post by randkos3 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:10 am

New to posting - but not new to the forum. I am intrigued with the "league" option but can't seem to get it to work the way I want. I have scored over 35 FastPitch softball games. This past weekend we played in a tournament and I (for the first time) assigned the games to a "League". It worked great . . . was able to get the stats for the weekend and also the overall cumulative stats. Now I want to separate the 35 previous games into the tournaments they belonged to . . . my question: can it be done and, if so, how? I've tried but can't get it to work on old data (games) like I want.
Thanks . . .
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: "League" usage?

Post by FTMSupport » Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

Create a League for each tournament, then go to Game Manager, and select each game, and scroll down to the Leagues setting on teh Game Info screen. You can change the League(s) a game is assigned to from there. You will have to do this for each game.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 am

Here is a longer primer if needed..
(it is same for all devices tablet and phone, iOS and android)

Here is a great tutorial page too ! http://iscoreleagues.com/iscorewebsite/ ... season.php

Will help you through learning it, once you "get it" you will find leagues are great.

to start with, please note two big things..
a) games can be assigned (and reassigned) to leagues any time, before during or after a game.
b) likewise Teams and players can be assigned to leagues at any time
b) games can be assigned to multiple leagues. (not limited to a 1:1 relationship)

how to get started...
1) create leagues
* create a league for each of the individual "tournaments you want to track" ..e.g. tournament1, tournament2, tournament3... (or more descriptive, memorial day tournament, Labor day tournament, etc)
* also create a league for all your whole team, e.g. Orange Crush - All games, or a league for each season, if you like, say Orange Crush 2009, Orange Crush Spring 2010, how ever you think of it.

2) For each of your games you have scored, go game-by-game and assign the game to one or more leagues as you want.
(Game Manager > Select Game > Scroll down to Options "Leagues" (near the end))

3) you probably also want to go through all your teams and assign them to the appropriate leagues (not required, but helpful) do this by (Team Manager, Select team, Leagues) (Required, if you have a team web site and want the league to show up as a drop down option on the web site.)

4) you can also (optional) go through and assign all players to respective leagues, you can do this later if you want. but do not delete players, if you want to hide them, assign them to a 'other players league' (empahsis, best to not delete players or teams or games, better to hide them in leagues)

Now you are set,.. all you do now is use it to filter at will

1) Go to league Manager, disable/ uncheck "all leagues" and disable/uncheck "default/leagues". Now enable/check the specific leagues you want to filter results/stats. e.g. "Labor Day Tourney 09" league,

2) now when you go to game manager, and you should only see games for enabled leagues.

3) now when you go to team manager, and do team stats, they will only be for the active/enabled leagues.

HUGE Reminder-
export your data periodically, (Options > Export) to update the free online Admin server and any team web sites you may have. Also this creates an off site backup with FTM in case you loose your hand held unit.
randkos3

Post by randkos3 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:22 am

SUCCESS !!! Thanks for the help - I made all the changes last night and - life is beautiful.

Actually, the step that I was missing was step #3. I found I had to make those changes in order to have it work.

Again, thanks.
randkos3

Post by randkos3 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:24 am

. . . the first step 3 . . .
tmccombs

Post by tmccombs » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:04 pm

I have a question, but not really sure how to ask it. I have used leagues since I started using iscore. The more games and types of games I scored, I started looking for easier and/or quicker ways to utilize them. Why does the database seem to use an "or" criteria rather than an "and" type criteria? I took out all my "2009 Summer Tournament" type leagues and replaced them with more simple leagues that I thought I could combine to get what I wanted. Using the example above, i created a 2009 league, a summer, fall, and spring league, a tournament league and finally a league league. Then assigned the games to the appropriate leagues, ie the 2009, summer, and tournament leagues. Then these leagues were checked on in league mgr. Instead of getting a filter of games that were 2009 and summer and Tournament I got every game that was played in 2009 regardless of if it was a tournament or league game, or regardless of if it was played in the summer or spring or fall. Hope all this rambling makes sense. It just seems easier to me to have a league mgr full of simple criteria that you can build into the filter of your choice, rather than have to create so descriptive of a league itself.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Do not quite understand the question, but as a quick recap... if you have the following leagues:

Summer 209
Spring 2009
Fall 2009

And you assign the games to the appropriate leagues, then you can view stats for any one of the leagues by checking just that league and turning the others off. If you wanted to view combined Spring + Summer, you would check both boxes. If you wanted all 3, you would check all 3.

You need to uncheck "All" and uncheck any leagues you do NOT want to see data for, and only check the leagues you DO want to see data for when running a report.
coach1

Post by coach1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:23 am

I realize this is an old string of posts but my question is similar. I have leagues created on the device, 2010 season and 2011 season the games are sorted correctly by league.. When I export and look at games in the online database it shows me all games for both seasons on the same screen. I have gone back and checked my entries and the games played and scheduled are marked correctly in the league category on the appropriate games. The only option I have to select only one league is in the search field of the teams page. Is it possilbe to isolate leagues indvidually? I have a 31 game schedule this year and as the years go by the screen is going to get alfullly busy
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:51 am

The Admin Website is not intended to be the primary way for viewing data. It is a supplement to the handheld device, and gives you access to some of the data on your device in different ways. We will add this request to our enhancement list, but it is probably going to be a lower priority item for a while as the Admin site is really more of a supplement than the primary use case for the product. Thank you.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 am

@coach - I suggest you investigate a 'team web site subscription' it is much better " viewer " of information for a team than the admin site if you like viewing off your handheld.