TIP: How to Best Use "LEAGUES" and League Manager - FAQ

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
OhioTex

Re: "League" usage?

Post by OhioTex » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 am

one other tip, a game/team/player can be in multiple leagues.

One way to see all your season is to check all the ones you created like you described .. an alternative create a "2011 All league" , then could associate each game into two (or more) leagues. so a game could be "District League" " Memorial day Tourney league " AND 2011 All League. then if you wanted to see "all 2011" stats, you could just choose that..instead of checking 10 leagues ...
brad bauml

Post by brad bauml » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Just getting ready to start our 2011 season. I have all teams, games, etc from last year still set up. how do I go about getting this new year set up. teams are mainly the same, but of course the players on the teams are different. i want to be able to keep last year data seperate, but hope to not have to re-set up every team from scratch for the new season??
any suggestions how best to handle??
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 am

(I am seeing a number of posts on ' new year' how do I set up...- i may later come back and edit this post with related link or create an announcement FAQ - or perhaps dan will, but below is a short answer)

The short answer, I find it best to build teams new for 2011 and create a new 2011 league(s). I edit last year team name to add in year, eg from dragons to dragons2010, and then have new dragons or dragons2011 be for new year. I Save all my old teams, players, games. And do not delete them,

If you use the add player, ( not create new player) option Whe building the team rosters you will have access to historic hit charts and stats.. Also if you end up creating two Joe smith, and find out later they are the same person, you can use player merge feature to tell iscore to merge them into one, Joe smith.

One down side to creating new team for 2011 is if you have a team webs site for 2010 team, you would want to purchase a new web site and cancel ( or renew) last years site
dcarlton1

Post by dcarlton1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 am

I understand how to assign games to leagues and cut/mix however we need to but now Im having a problem with individual players that are no longer on my team. Example:
In 2010 Bob, Doug, Bill, Ed, and Dave played for the team. They could each go to the site and lookup their stats for any particular weekend.

In 2011 Dave and Ed return to the team but Doug and Bill are gone. When I remove them from the team (but not delete them from the handheld device) they dissapear entirely from the website stats. Although Doug and Bill are not on the 2011 team they should be able to go to the website and select the league "overall 2010" for example and see their names pop up. Right now Doug and Bill are completely gone and only the current 2011 players on the team are listed no matter what league I select.

Is there a way to solve this so players that are no longer on the team will show up where they should be? Is the answer in going to the players and individually assigning them to old leagues?

Do I really have to leave every player that ever played for me on my current roster for them to be able to see old stats on the website?

PS - Thank you Tex for quick response - I saw your post below and am glad I can stop pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Thanks again.
Last edited by dcarlton1 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 am

This is a good post and a good place to re clarify as it has come up multiple times throughout the board as we start a new year.

The short answer is the current design on iscore is who ever is on your handheld Team Roster in Team manger is who is on the Team website for that team. There is no "archive"

classic example is if a senior graduates, they are no longer on the team and the roster reflects the current team only. the trade off of course is you loose, history on last years team.

In the current iscore design, you have to choose to live with that tradeoff or create multiple Teams, e.g. Team 2010, Team 2011. i have done both ways, single team and two team, in the end i found i prefer the two team approach because i value the history more than the negative tradeoffs. As such i keep both years teams on my handheld. one down side is you need a new team web site subscription and new URL every year. Letting parents know the new url is not hard, and you can make an economic decision to renew a prior year team site or not . both will stay on your handheld.

FTM has on its list to consider alternatives to this design, but i do not believe it is a high priority.
baystatebaseball

"Seasons" as well as "Leagues"

Post by baystatebaseball » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am

NOTE: All my comments apply to the team web site, not to the device.

I think I've exercised the league usage about as much as I can. I agree with earlier posters that it would be very nice to allow for an AND approach to filtering, as well as an OR approach, but I've resorted to creating new leagues for that purpose.

For example, I have the following leagues:

1. Orange Crush [the "all" case for the team]
2. Crush Fall AAU 2010
3. Crush Spring AAU 2011
4. Crush Spring Tournaments 2011
5. Crush Spring [3 AND 4, but not 2]

Here's my problem ...

Now that I've used iScore for several seasons, my team stats are starting to get a little cluttered. There are kids who play on the spring team, but not the summer team. Or kids who've moved on. Even though I've assigned the players to just the leagues for which I want to see stats (e.g., Tommy is on Crush 2009 and Crush 2010, but Billy is only on Crush 2009), I will still see Tommy show up in the Crush 2010 league, but with 0's next to his name.

I don't want to delete the players. Nor do I want to create separate web sites for each seasonal variant. I'd like to see a separate "season" picker in the upper right in addition to the "league" picker. That way, I can see the players' stats for each season, without having a list of defunct players with a string of zeros next to their names.

Additionally, I think it would make sense if the drop-down boxes were multi-select, so I could see consolidated stats from the 2009 & 2010 seasons.

I suppose officially these roster changes represent new teams (hence requiring their own team site), but not to fans or management. I would happily pay a "multi-season" or "team evolution" fee to be able to have the information consolidated on one team site, but with filtering by season.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 am

We will consider this as we continue evolving the team sites. The intent was that each season be a new team, but we can see where people would like to consolidate each season's team into a single portal site.

You can of course do all the multi-league selects on the device itself and do reporting in the way you would like. And the Player Cards span teams / seasons for individual players as well, so the data is available in the way you would like on the device. You are looking for that same kind of functionality from a website. Maybe we can come up with a multi-season / team evolution / franchise site that could accomodate this type of request. This would not be applicable to most Little Leagues / Rec Leagues where teams are redrafted each year, but we can see how it would apply for Travel Teams and High School teams.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
coachrich

Post by coachrich » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:01 am

How do I have the "ALL" tab or option NOT show on my team's stats page? I have multiple leagues set up for each tournament, plus a league for the full season, and have each game checked appropriately. But my problem is I also scored a winter indoor tournament, but DO NOT want this tournament included in the cumulative stats. All games from the indoor tournament have no boxes checked under league settings, but they are still included in the "ALL" stats tab.
If I can't remove the ALL tab, how can I delete actual games? Don't really want to do this, as I would like to have the opponents stats for future games.
Thanks in advance.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 am

sounds like you are skilled with Leagues (yeah)

I believe you are talking about visibility (or invisibility) on your TEAM WEB SITE (not the admin web site or on your hand held, correct ?)

What you want is the Winter League to "not show up at all" on the team web site, but stay on your hand held...

the trick for this unique need is on the handheld, undo the team manager association with the Winter League. (team manager > Team > League, uncheck winter league). Options > Export. the winter league should no longer be part of the pick choices and the games and associated stats should not be accessible from the team web site any more (but games still on your hand held and in the players stats on the handheld for those games)
coachrich

Post by coachrich » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 am

Ohio,

Yes, I am referring to the TEAM WEB SITE, but the (ALL) tab seems to be the default, and I can't get rid of it. I have done the steps you listed, and 'unassociated' the "indoor tournament", and it does NOT show up as an option, which is good, BUT... the stats are still included in the (ALL) tab, which on the the web page, but not on my handheld.
Am I going to have to delete these games? If so, not a huge deal, but can't figure out how to do that either?? Thx!