How do I substitute a pitcher when using a DH

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
g_rod83

How do I substitute a pitcher when using a DH

Post by g_rod83 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:15 pm

I just downloaded the program because I am a little league baseball coach and thought this program would be beneficial. To get a better feel for the controls of this app I decided to keep score of the local major league team. In the 6th inning they changed pitchers, so I tried to change pitchers thinking it would be no different then how you change a normal fielder. I clicked on the pitcher icon and it brought up the "select the lineup position you would like to change" window but I don't see the pitchers number anywhere. Its the American League so they use a DH. This brings me to my question: How do I substitute the pitcher position while using a DH.

Thank You
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: How do I substitute a pitcher when using a DH

Post by FTMSupport » Fri May 01, 2009 6:30 pm

To change pitchers while using a DH, you just have to include a pitcher in the lineup at the beginning of the game, but mark him as Batting=No. Include a DH in your original lineup.

Now, when the team is on defense, click the pitcher, and it will ask who you want to substitute for that pitcher.

We have two YouTube videos covering many scenarios. Substitutions are covered in Part 2. Here are the links:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJ-r42T0Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UeanYIgmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
g_rod83

Post by g_rod83 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:41 pm

My bad. I went back after the game was done and started the game all over and saw that I didn't have the DH designated as DH but as playing his normal position and had the person really playing that position designated as OF.

Great App now that I have figured that out.
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 pm

There is not a generic OF position. I believe the OUT button in the position listing just represents that the player is not playing at that particular point. Was that player actually in a position?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm

If you are playing with 10 fielders (you have to set that option), then there actually is a generic "OF" position that represents the 10th defensive position.

just an fyi...
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Oops... ok. Sorry about that.
james3rd59

Post by james3rd59 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:22 pm

I have a little bit different situation. I just scored a game that had a pitcher that was not batting and a DH that was. When the pitcher came out and the DH took his place as pitcher I did not have an option to switch him out, all I could do was change him from a DH to P. This at the end of the game did not allow the original pitcher to have any record in the statistics. And the DH who became the Pitcher has his 2 1/3 innings pitch.

On the main screen the pitch count continued from the 1st pitcher to the second pitcher. Is there a way around this? Both players were in the original lineup but no substution was offered other than to sit out the pitcher and move the DH to pitcher.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri May 08, 2009 7:39 pm

If your pitch count continued from the 1st to the 2nd pitcher, then it really sounds like you made the pitching change in the lineup screen, and not the substitution screen.

Did you watch the steps for doing substiutions in the YouTube video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UeanYIgmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

If these are the steps you followed, and things did not substitute correctly, then if you can export your database to us (Options Menu item, click Export), and when you get the Success message, send us an email at support@fasterthanmonkeys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false with your customer ID (bottom left of the Options screen), and we will take a look at your database to see what went wrong.

Thank you.
alfreym

Post by alfreym » Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 am

Sorry if this question has been answered already, but I have looked and could not find it.

I am having problems subing a pitcher when using a DH. I only have the problem if the DH is being used for a position player rather than the pitcher. This a common practice for my sons high school team.

When I touch the pitcher then replace him with one of the subs (that sub will also take his spot in the batting order) the pitch count resets to zero however the original pitchers name and number remain. On the stat sheet it does not show the new pitcher as pitching, and also resets the "pitching" stats for the original pitcher and does not show that the relief pitcher even pitched. Confused yet?

I scored a game with the pitcher batting in the number 1 spot and instead of the catcher batting we had a DH. Second inning the pitcher got hit by the ball and had to come out. I replaced him with a sub, the pitch count was reset to zero but the original pitcher was indicated as still being in the game when they were on defense. However the sub replaced him in the batting line up.

I sub'ed the pitcher by touching his position on the screen rather than using the line up card. Is there something I am doing wrong?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 pm

iScore was developed with the idea that a DH can only be used for a Pitcher (this is in MLB rules), but have since learned that many leagues use a DP/Flex rule which allows a DH for any position. We are going to be adding support for DP/Flex to an upcoming release.

In the meantime, the best option might be to just put the player that is batting in the lineup, and not list the player that is playing defense only. Defensive stats are not currently calculated (it is on our enhancement request list as you can find in other posts in the forum), so using this technique will still get the correct offensive stats, and you can do substitutions at any time.