How to score double play with runners on base

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
jdonato

How to score double play with runners on base

Post by jdonato » Fri May 01, 2009 11:09 am

Hi all

This is a question for all experts in scoring matters :)

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hit a ground ball double play, player from 1st is out at 2nd, batter is out at first. This is an inning ending double play.

Problem: The only way (I know of) that I can score an out at second with iScore in this situation is if I advance the runner at second, and that runner would appear in the scorecard as reaching third (which is not the case, IMHO). If I score the runner at 2nd as "Held Up", there is no way I can select "Second" to assign the out for the runner coming from first ("Second" appears grayed-out).

What do you guys and girls do? If there is no other way to score this in iScore, and I am right in my assumption that the runner from 2nd should not advance to third (technically he never reaches 3rd), this should become an "Issue report" and an "Enhancement Request" ;)

Any ideas? Am I missing some "'duh' what an embarrasment" thing here?

Thanks
bsweetser

Re: How to score double play with runners on base

Post by bsweetser » Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 pm

This is what I do when scoring ground out double plays:

Tap out - Ground Out
Touch the spot on the field where the ball was hit
Tap the players involved (i.e. 6-4-3) and then done
In your situation where there were runners on first and second, I tap that the runner on second got to Third - Advanced by batter
When it asks me what happened to the runner who was on first, I tap "Out" - Double Play

ben
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks ben

That's exactly what I do, and it works. Still, I am not sure that's the correct way to score the play. It is correct to advanced the runner from second to third? I believe not, since he never got there, but again, I am no expert at scorecards, I just know rules and love baseball.

A big OOOPS. I just realized. I should have written that this is an INNING ENDING double play. Sorry. I will edit my first post.
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't advance the runner to third. It doesn't really have any affect on the scoring. There is an issue if there is a runner on third, however. You need to make sure not to advance that runner home because iScore will score a run in that case. You would need to hold that runner up on third.
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Fri May 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks again.

I qgree, it won't change the outcome or anything, I just wanted to be sure it was not an issue, from a "purist" point of view, and the scorecard would not be questioned as wrong.

It would be interesting to find out, in the case there is a runner on third, and one of the outs is the guy running from second to third, if I would encounter the same problems (if not advancing the player on third will not let me select the "third" buttons for the player running from second)
Hooperjd

Post by Hooperjd » Thu May 28, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't see a way to score a 6-4-3 (or any other) double play and have the score sheet show the runner going to second as making the first of the two outs. Seems no matter what I do the runner going to first shows up as being the first out and the runner going to second as the second out (assuming there were no outs to start with). Can someone help with this?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi Hooperjd -

You are correct - it currently always shows the batter as making the first out. This will not effect stats in any way, but technically we should be showing the runner going to second as the first of the two outs, then the batter since it is possible you could have something like a "3-4" double play where the batter actually is out first and the runner is out second. We should distinguish between the two.

We will get this fixed for version 1.70.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs