TIP: What is Data Sharing and How to Use - FAQ

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
OhioTex

Re: Data Sharing - FAQ

Post by OhioTex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm

You should also update to the current version of iscore on itouch before you try and data share..use the app store

On the itouch, go to options> admin web site .that is where you set the password
kaknoll

Post by kaknoll » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 am

Is there any other way to change the password? I just went out to the App Store and it says "You have not owned a previous major version of this sfotware. You have to buy it at full price. Would you like to buy it?" I did purchase the software 2 yrs ago for the iTouch. Now I've just recently purchased 2 additional copies for both my Android & my husband's. I don't want to buy another copy for the iTouch when all I want to do is retrieve the data from the server. I already uploaded it, I just can't retrieve it without a password. VERY frustrating.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 am

The App Store will allow you to install on multiple devices as long as they are all on the same account. Make sure you are logging into your device with the same account the purchase was made with. This is an Apple policy, not something that we control.

If you can email us with your customer ID from your iPod Touch, we can actually find your password and/or transfer your entire database for you. Send email to support@iscoresports.com, and just let us know what you need done.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 am

Any reason you are running such an old version? I know the current version has the reset button. Have you considered upgrading your iPod Touch version?
Stadtusquo

Post by Stadtusquo » Wed May 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Not related to above, but...

I just imported a game, that another iScore user recorded, from their admin site. I noticed they called one of the Teams by a different name and it didn't recognize as i set up said Team. How do i fix this on my device?

Stadtusquo
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm

When you are using Data Sharing, you have the option of "mapping" the incoming teams to existing teams on your device. If you did not do this, you can still go to Team Manager, and use the Merge option from there to combine the teams back into one. When you click Merge from there, select the team name you want to keep as the official team in the left list, and the team you want to merge "into" that team in the right list, then tap the Merge button again.

This will combine the teams into one. This is not reversible, so be sure it is what you want to do.
sandman

Post by sandman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 pm

i coach a hs team and play on a softball team. a friend of mine who plays on my softball team is also a conference opponent in baseball. we both keep the stats for the softball team through iscore. my question is...for example, he keeps score of a softball game, i want to import it (softball stats) to my device but he doesnt want me to see his baseball stats (cause were opponents) is there a way to do this?
sandman

Post by sandman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 pm

what happens if i make changes on the internet and i have still have stats that i never exported yet. how do i do that without erasing anything?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 pm

With data sharing, when you allow someone to pull from your device, they get access to all your data. So there has to be a trust that they are only going to pull what you say they cal pull. It is password protected, so they have to do it with your permission, but you do have to trust them. If you are concerned they may pull data you do not want them to have, then you can be with them while they are doing the data sharing to make sure they only pull the games / teams you want them to pull.

For the question about changes on the internet, the steps should always be this:

1. Do an Options -> Export from your device to put your latest data on the server.
2. Log in the Admin Website and make any changes you want
3. Do an Options -> Import to pull the data back to your device

If you make changes on your device between steps 1 and 3, then the import will overwrite the data on your device and you would lose those changes.
strotter

Post by strotter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Is there a way to manually change the customer ID on one instance of iScore Baseball so that it matches the ID from another instance? I'm changing devices, and I want to Export the database on the old device, install iScore on the new device, change the ID number, and then Import the database, and go on my merry way.

The Data Sharing function is WAY too tedious and time-consuming and error-prone.

I've read the other posts on this topic, and I can guess what the official answer is going to be. Nevertheless, I want to do it because I change devices frequently and I need an EASY way to transfer all of that data from one device to another.

I should add that I know that what I'm asking is not only feasible, but that it does work in the way that I've described, because I've done it once already "accidentally." In preparing to upgrade from one device to another, I used TitaniumBackup to backup all my apps from the old device. I removed the SD card from the old device, put it into the new device, installed TitaniumBackup, and restored everything. I ran iScore and everything was perfect: all of my data was intact and it synced correctly with the server using the Customer ID number that was assigned on the original device!

I hadn't planned on this working. I had expected to have to go through the Data Sharing torture of syncing things one item at a time. So I was very pleasantly surprised and very happy. Then, just for grins, I went back to the old phone--both were Android phones, BTW--added some fake data (players, teams, league, game), exported it from the old phone, imported it on the new, and it worked exactly the way that you would hope and expect that it would: all of the new data transferred correctly.

I understand the dangers of doing the Export/Import steps incorrectly and wiping out data instead of replicating it. And, this is for my use only for the purpose of keeping the exact same set of data replicated across multiple devices. It is NOT the scenario for which you apparently designed the Data Sharing feature, of two or more independent scorekeepers who are tracking different games and who want to occasionally swap data.

So, it there an easy way to just change the Customer ID number so that I don't have to do the Backup/Restore trick?