Dropped fly ball in foul territory.

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
dannin1

Dropped fly ball in foul territory.

Post by dannin1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:06 am

How do you record a dropped fly ball in foul territory as an error and allow the batter to remain at the plate?
allrounder

Re: Dropped fly ball in foul territory.

Post by allrounder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:52 am

After selecting foul, select the Misc button then assign error...
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am

Actually, it depends on the league that you are scoring. High school and below, an error can only be officially recorded if a runner reaches an advancing base. Dropping a foul fly ball, is simply a foul ball OFFICIALLY, however a note of it can be made.

ETA: Intrigued by what FTM told me about assists with errors, I looked it up in my high school rule book, and in rule 9.5.5 it states that:

An error is charged against a fielder for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter...

So, once again I am standing corrected. Perhaps I don't know as much about errors as I thought I did, but now I am more educated on them.
grstatdoc

Post by grstatdoc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:37 am

Bryan D Shepherd wrote:Actually, it depends on the league that you are scoring. High school and below, an error can only be officially recorded if a runner reaches an advancing base. Dropping a foul fly ball, is simply a foul ball OFFICIALLY, however a note of it can be made.

ETA: Intrigued by what FTM told me about assists with errors, I looked it up in my high school rule book, and in rule 9.5.5 it states that:

An error is charged against a fielder for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter...

So, once again I am standing corrected. Perhaps I don't know as much about errors as I thought I did, but now I am more educated on them.
I won't speak to levels below high school, but a dropped foul fly (which prolongs the time at bat) is charged as an error at high school and above:

Fed (hopefully, the statistician's manual I'm quoting from does not conflict with the rule book; if so, some one needs to let them know about it. I'll volunteer if the conflicting paragraph can be supplied):
SECTION 14: Errors
Provision 1: An error is charged against any fielder (pitchers included) or the team (ET) for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter or the time of a runner on base or permits a base runner to advance one or more bases.
NCAA 10.16:
SECTION 16. a. An error is charged against any fielder (pitchers included) for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter or the time as a base runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases.
MLB 10.12(a) (1) and (2):
(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
(1) whose misplay (fumble, muff or wild throw) prolongs the time at bat of a batter, prolongs the presence on the bases of a runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, such fielder deliberately permits a foul fly to fall safe with a runner on third base before two are out in order that the runner on third shall not score after the catch;
(2) when such fielder muffs a foul fly to prolong the time at bat of a batter, whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out;
Apologies for being so long-typed, but hope that I've provided something helpful.