False R.B.I. Stat

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
cpinserra

False R.B.I. Stat

Post by cpinserra » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Why is it that players are getting credit for an R.B.I. when they should not? For example, there is a runner on 3rd base and the batter hits a routine grounder that the shortstop makes an error on. Obviously the batter reaches first on an error, but how should I enter the runner from 3rd as scoring without the batter receiving an R.B.I.? If I score the runner from 3rd as scoring on an error, it will ask me to document the error, and therefore the shortstop actually receives two errors which is inaccurate. Any suggestions.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: False R.B.I. Stat

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

That actually sounds like an RBI. RBI should not be confused with earned runs. A batter can ground out to shortstop, and still gets credited with an RBI.

If you enter two errors on the same player as part of the same sequence (e.g. batter reaches first because of E6 and runner makes it home because of E6), iScore will only count 1 error in the stats. If it is entered as separate plays, then it is 2 errors, or if two separate players got an error, then it is 2 errors.
CoachBob

Post by CoachBob » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm

This is actually an RBI unless the infield was playing in. As you watch the play, you play the play as if the error didnt occur. Its like an outfielder dropping a fly ball with a runner on 3rd. That play would be a sac fly, E8, and an RBI for the hitter.
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 pm

By definition, an RBI is a run that scores after a batter has hit the ball, no matter what happens to the batter. Please note that an RBI will not score on a stolen base or anything that occurs while a batter is at bat, only after bat has connected with ball and ball is in play.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:39 pm

a walk can generate an RBI for the Batter too
(ie does not require a batter to put a ball in play or hit a ball)
iScore seems to handle it correctly
Bryan D Shepherd
Location: St. Albans, WV; District 3 Little League Umpire; WVSSAC Softball Umpire KS1904

Post by Bryan D Shepherd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Doh, forgot about that. That and Hit by pitch are the only exceptions.